Monday, September 24, 2018

One step forward and then a few back.

Sunday at school I got overwhelmed and had a bit of a breakdown. I didn’t feel well, so that didn’t help. It seemed that everyone else had everything together and I could hardly get my head out. I still love the job, but feeling quite inadequate some days. 


I sorted out Jack’s swim squad issues and the coach said he didn’t have to come to the regular practice on Tuesdays as long as he came two other days in the week. This will afford him to join the basketball team on Tuesdays, which thrills him. So now he will go to swim practice on Monday and Tuesday mornings at 6:45 am. Yikes! 


I got home on Sunday just before rugby training. I didn’t go to netball again. I will at some stage, I hope. Instead, I stayed home and did some work for my lessons on Monday. I had some time with Millie as she stayed home as well. Jack and Stuart got home just before 7 pm. Jack was up to shower and then had something to eat. He was off to bed shortly after that. I didn’t stay up too long as I was exhausted. That seems to be my state these days. 


Jack went to swim squad Monday morning, and it seemed earlier than normal, even though we usually get to school at 6:45 am anyway. School was better on Monday. I felt more prepared for sure. I had to do a border run in order for my work visa to be processed. Since I didn’t know about until I got to school, I messaged  Stuart to ask him to come and get the kids right after school. I thought the border run would take forever, but it only took me about 40 minutes once I was at the crossing. 


Because the kids already planned to go have dinner at the club, I decided to sit at Tim Hortons, have a coffee and work for a bit. When I went to pick them up at the club, they were ready for showers and bed. Well, Millie is never ready for bed, but that’s an on-going battle that I hope ends very soon. Stuart returned from training and we had dinner. Then it was night night for all. 


We were up and out for early morning swim squad for Jack. He went straight to the pool once we were in school. School ran relatively smoothly on Tuesday. It took a bit of a turn during the last lesson of the day. We have Math and it is brutal to teach Math to 6 year olds at 1:40 pm. Yikes! But the support staff said we would meet on a regular basis and iron things out. 


Stuart picked up Jack from basketball practice and took him home to get ready for rugby.  Millie and I headed to her ballet class just after 4 pm. She is in with some of the little girls in my class. After that class, she had her gymnastics dance class. She had a great time, but of course she decided she needed ballet tights, mainly because her little friends had them. After dance, I swung by McDonalds and got dinner for the kids. 


While Jack ate, I went to get milk and Stuart put Millie to bed. He seems to have better luck with her bedtime than I do. She doesn’t fight him as much. When I got back, I simply went upstairs and told her goodnight. Jack went to bed around 8, and I continued to try to upload the book Where the Wild Things Are. I finally did it and actually created a flip chart of it. I was so proud of myself. This book links with our topic for this term. I stayed up and worked for a while. Stuart went to bed and I watched the last episode of Bachelor in Paradise. 


Wednesday we were out of the house on time. I was more ready for the day than I was the day before. Stuart came at the end of the day for the meet and greet for parents at Brighton College. Once that was over, he took the kids home and I stayed and worked until just before 5 pm. When I got home Millie was in full meltdown mode. She had decided she didn’t need to take a shower and was going to fight it the whole time. She lost about an hour and a half of her time because she was just so stubborn and wouldn’t comply with what was being asked of her. Stuart went off to training, while I fought with the little madam.  He got home just after 8:30 pm. Millie had been asleep for a while, as her meltdown cost her some free time. 


Thursday at school I met with my special needs assistant. We worked out the fact that I really need to use more hands-on activities. I’m still not convinced that Year 2 is for me, but time will tell, I suppose. I ended up not sending my emails properly to parents. My learning curve is supposed to get smaller, but it just seems to get larger. Ugh!  I ended up staying at school until 4:15 pm. The days get a bit long, but I know it will not be this way all year. 


We decided to have an impromptu BBQ at our house. Everyone brought their own meat to grill. We had a salad and some potato chips. Brian, Lara, their kids, Jane and her boys, Cathy and Claire, as well as Sean and Carly came over. We were in bed around 11 pm. It was a good night. 


Friday morning we went to the club around 9:30 am for Millie and Jack’s birthday parties. They each invited friends and had a blast just swimming and having pizza. For us, this is the cheapest birthday party ever. It is also no trouble for either of us, and the kids enjoyed every minute of it. 







After the party, we came home. Stuart went to Abu Dhabi to watch the first men’s rugby team play, while Cathy, the kids and I went to the mall. The kids bought some new toys with their birthday money and gift vouchers. 






When we got home, we had leftovers and the kids played with their new toys. Jack even gave up the PS4 to play with his new race track. Stuart got home just before 9 pm. The kids were in bed and Cathy and I were talking about our teaching experiences over the years. She left around 10 pm and Stuart went to bed. I decided to stay up and watch television. It is my alone time and my time to really unwind by myself. 


Saturday morning we got up and celebrated Jack’s actual birthday. We bought him a set of golf clubs and we bought a SIM card for his phone. When he came in the living room, I called his phone and it started ringing. Stuart videoed him finding the phone and then realizing we had put a SIM card in his phone. He was so excited. So many friends and family had already messaged him on WhatsApp before he even got the phone. He was thrilled. He also opened gifts from Grandma, Grandpa, Auntie Cheryl and Granny. Grandma, Grandad, Grammie and Pop has given him gifts over the summer. So needless to say, he had a full birthday. 


This was a game he got called Snot It! Of course, he loved it. 

He spoke with Grammie and Pop for a while and then we got ready to go to the mall. Cathy went with us for his birthday lunch. We went to PF Chang’s, which is his favorite for sushi. And of course he got sushi. We stopped at LuLu supermarket on the way home and were quickly reminded as to why we NEVER go to the supermarket on a Saturday afternoon. There were hundreds of people there, and I do not exaggerate. It’s was wall to wall people. 






Once we were back in our neighborhood, we dropped Cathy off at her place, dropped our laundry off at the cleaners, and then headed home. The kids played upstairs and Stuart and I did some school work. We didn’t have a formal dinner, as we normally do on a Saturday evening. Instead, Stuart and I had leftovers, while Millie had noodles and Jack had a pbj, his favorite. He also had another piece of his birthday cake from the day before. I totally forgot about it, otherwise Millie could have had a piece. I’m sure she will end up eating the rest of her cake over the next few days. 


So another week has passed and all is well. Stuart is still not thrilled with his job, but seems to be just getting on with it. The kids love Brighton College, as do I. The Telfords are doing pretty good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment