Monday, October 1, 2018

The weeks are flying by

Sunday at school I still made mistakes. One of my teammates made me feel better, though, because he told me he still has days he feels terribly inadequate. 


Stuart picked the kids up after school and I stayed a bit later to get some work done.  I didn’t go to the rugby club, but I wished I had. It seems there is a boy on Jack’s team who keeps calling him names and harassing him during practice. Because the coaches are there to just coach, they often just separate the kids rather than helping to solve the issue. So, since I don’t go to the club on Tuesdays, I have that confrontation to look forward to. We seldom run into bullying here, so when we do it’s terribly upsetting. Generally, the children take care of each other. It’s a bit of a Pleasantville situation we live in. It’s unusual and we will like it. 


The reason I didn’t go to the club Sunday evening was because we sold our old washing machine and the buyer was coming to collect it that evening. We had bought a new washing machine over the weekend. Why, you ask? Because our old one was stinky and old. We wanted to sell it while it was still working. 


Stuart and the kids got home just before 7 pm. Millie went to bed nicely for the second night in a row. She knows she has a gift at the end of the week if she keeps it up. 


Monday I was more prepared. My Mondays are easy anyway, as I only teach 3 lessons. After school Jack had a basketball game at another school. Millie and I went to watch the game and pick him up. He played really well and loved every minute. We then delivered the keyboard I had sold. The guy I sold it to gave me a creepy picture he must have gotten off of Facebook. Ick! I think this was a snap chat picture Jack took. It’s weird. He works at a photo studio, so I assume he thought it was a nice gesture. After the delivery, I stopped by KFC to get the kids dinner. When we got home Stuart was leaving for training. Millie went to bed with no issue, again. I told her if she did this for one week straight I would give her a prize. 


Jack was at swim squad early on Tuesday morning. The day at school Tuesday was great. Millie went home with a friend and the mother took them to dance. I went to sort out bank stuff as they will freeze my money without my new visa. I didn’t have all the documentation so they said I had 45 days to get it all in. Now I have to wait on immigration. 


After I picked Millie up from dance, we got McDonalds for dinner, just for Jack and Millie. Clearly we are the fast food folks at the moment. When I got home I did my best to get Millie to take a shower and get into bed. She was having none of it. So the prize was taken away. She would have to start all over again on Wednesday. 


Wednesday was an even better day at school. I did a few more hands on activities, and followed the plans a little more closely. Jack and Millie acted up and were grounded from going outside to play before or after school. This punishment would last a week. I’m not sure who will be more punished, me or them. 


The theme in my year group right now is The Greatest Showman. This is our hallway. It looks like a circus. 

We left for home just before 5 pm. The kids went straight for showers and then we were off for sushi for Claire’s birthday. She turned 18 and passed her driving test. It was a big day. I saw one of my teammates at the restaurant and got him half price dinner. He happens to be Millie’s teacher as well, so it’s not a bad idea to be nice to him. 


We got home and the kids were in bed. Stuart came home after training and brought food. I finished my work for the evening and was ready for the next school day, with some wonderful activities for my lessons. 


Thursday morning I went confidently to school and the day was okay. I’m really starting to get into a groove and I am a bit ahead of each day, thank goodness. School was awesome. I stayed and worked until almost 5 pm. 


Once we were home, Cathy came over for nachos. We had a good catch up and then I stayed up and watched television. 


We went to the club to set up on Friday morning. 


Jack was in charge of picking up the empty water bottles that morning. 

It was the opening match for the league play. The day was filled with sponsors, a garage sale that I made about 700 dirhams on, and two men’s rugby matches. It was a very successful day. We made about twice the amount of money than on a normal Friday. I had a headache most of the day and felt my cold coming back. We were home by 9 pm. It was a long and exhausting day. 


The kids showered and were off to bed. Jack had pulled his tooth earlier in the day, so he put his tooth under his pillow and said ‘I hope the tooth fairy gives me 100 dirhams,’ which is about $30. Then I said, ‘I don’t think the tooth fairy is that rich.’  I then winked at him and he giggled. I like that he is willing to still play along.  I stayed up and cut out some learning centers, played tooth fairy and then went to bed. 


I was up Saturday morning and went to school for a bit. I forgot my spelling lessons for Sunday. I did some laminating in order to cut it out for some centers for Sunday. 


When I got home we decided to go to the driving range for an hour or so. We then ate at the restaurant at the golf club. It was a bit of an irritating meal. No one told us that the sushi chef didn’t get to work until noon. Therefore all of us had our food and had eaten before Jack got his food. It’s the way of the UAE. It can get a bit maddening at times. We got over it and went home. 







The rest of the day was homework and school work for Stuart and myself. We took a break at 4 pm when we brought Jack to the club to practice with his Tuesday evening touch tournament team. They decided to call themselves Oreos, because Jack is the cream center. He’s the only white kid on the team. Everyone else is from New Zealand or surrounding islands. Kiwis have no need for other players on their team because they have so much talent. I told Jack he was very privileged to be invited to play with those kids. He’s so excited. 




We got home and fed the kids, had them shower and all went to bed, including us. It was a great week and we were ready for another one. 




No comments:

Post a Comment