Monday, December 3, 2018

Goodbye Zurich, hello 3 day school week.

Gina and I got up at 6 am and headed to the airport. We had purchased a 72 hour transport pass and we were going to get to the airport just before it expired. Thank goodness because when we called about a taxi it was going to be more than what we spent on one of the passes. 

We arrived at the airport just before 8 am and went to the check-in counter. They were so slow. We stood there nearly 30 minutes and there weren’t just a ton of people there. Once we were checked in we headed to the gate. At security, Gina was stopped. They said it was random, but she said she’s always stopped when she books a ticket that connects back to Saudi. I’m sure that gets old. 

We purchased one last pretzel and then headed to the gate. We sat down for about 10 minutes and then were able to board. I watched a couple of movies on the flight and was able to move to a row with no other passengers. It was great! The only issue was the lady behind me who continued to grab my chair when she wanted to stand up. Why don’t people actually know plane ettiquette? You always push off your own seat to get up, you don’t pull on the chair in front of you. All the students who ever travelled with me with People to People know that tip. My OWN children know better. 

We landed at 7 pm. I bid farewell to Gina telling her I hoped we saw each other sooner than 10 months. That’s how long it had been a since I had seen her. Stuart and the kids were there to collect me at the airport. I really did miss them. I’m wondering how I will handle being away from them for 10 days in a little over a week. I’ll try not to think about it too much. 

We got home and I started laundry, took a shower and hit the hay. I had a great time, but it was good to be home. 

We were up around 7 the following morning and did a whole lot of nothing. The kids watched television, played their new games I bought them and just relaxed. 

Our Elf on the Shelf, Elfvis, brought the kids a snowman kit. 



Cathy came over for a catch up and we had nachos. We then headed to my friend Jenny’s to make up the sweet bags for the Winter Festival at the club. They were for Santa to hand out to each of the kids. Once we were home, I tried to go to bed early, but ended up watching the rest of the Netflix series, The Ranch. I couldn’t help myself. 

Candy chaos!

Tuesday morning came way too early, and it was the official first day of the week. Jack went to swim squad but only swam 4 lengths as the heater to the pool had been off over the break and it was too cold for them to swim. It was a long day for sure. School was fine and my team appreciated their chocolate treats from Switzerland. After school we had the prize giving ceremony for the Year 1 and 2 students who received their bronze award for house points for the term. Millie received her bronze. So we all went to the ceremony. 

This is the Head of the Junior school presenting the students with their certificates. 

I was on stage with Millie since I am the House Mistress of Ryle. 

As soon as that was over, we headed to rugby club for training and then Jack played his last touch game of the season and they only got beat by 1 try. He was very pleased with his efforts. They have played this entire season against adult teams and have been quite competitive. We were home, fed and in bed by about 8 pm, well, at least the kids were. 

Wednesday Elfvis brought a rainbow for the kids.

It was another good day at school. We all feel as if we are already on holiday, which is not good at all. After school I ran to the bank, only to find out that it no longer had late hours. Super! So Saturday I would have to go pick up my new debit card. Ugh! 

I also went to the mall beforehand to get decorations for the Winter Festival. It was sure to be an exhausting weekend with all the activities going on. This weekend will be the Youth Rugby Tournament. Jack will play on Saturday and Stuart and I will have to work the tournament on Friday. Since we are both on the committee we are expected to be around all weekend. I will be the official time keeper for the matches. When I got home from the bank Cathy came over to the house. We listened to Christmas music and chatted for a few hours. She left rather late so it was off to bed for us. 

Thursday was also going to be a long day. We had our assembly that announced my house, Ryle, came in second in the enterprise event. We had made the play dough and made 1300 dirhams. We were very pleased with ourselves. After school we all started decorating the halls for our Winter Wonderland. It was amazing. The entire school started transforming into Narnia. Our corridor looked the best as we have the greatest artist as one of our teacher assistants. 






I left school and headed straight to the club for our Winter Festival. I put out the decorations and then just waited. Stuart and Jenny had brought the sweets and sweet bags and we were set for Santa. A choir sang before Santa arrived and there was a wonderful buffet of food. We were much more organized this year than last and were way more prepared. We made up 300 bags and were set for many more children than the previous year. My volunteers were fantastic for sure. 

The resort nearly makes us laugh on most days. They sent workers to put together the food canopies about 3 hours before the event started. Heaven forbid they have that done a day or two before. This particular canopy was being maneuvered through the crowd after the event started. It’s he way of the UAE. 

The adorable choir. 

We had to force Jack to stand by Santa. 

My faithful ‘elves’. 

After the event I got home and had to shoo some kids that don’t even live in our complex. Irritating! I spoke to security and they said they would keep a closer eye out for them. 

Friday morning Stuart was up and at the club at 6 am. He helped set up for the tournament. The kids and I showed up at 8 am and I was to be the time keeper. I kept time until around 11:30, but the ref on the first pitch was ignoring the horn. So our regular commentator came up and droned on about the matches being played on the first pitch. This meant that my job was a bit obsolete, but I stayed and endured the nonsense. 

Leanne came to sit and have a chat for a bit. 

Most of the day the kids played with their friends at the club. Millie went with Hannah and her two kids, Ava and Sam, to the mall for a bit, which I’m sure was fun for Millie. Hannah is my co-social Secretary, but is now more of the Business Manager as our last one has moved out of the country. 

The day was over around 3:30 pm. We headed to the house and Cathy came for dinner. She also helped us think of more ideas of where to place Elfvis each evening. He ended up being pinned to the dart board on Friday evening. 

Saturday morning 5 am alarm clock came too early. When we got to the club at 6 am not all of the committee members were there. It toasts my cookies! I am under the belief that if you do not want to be a part of all duties of a committee member, you shouldn’t be part of any. It’s irritating. 

The day was great. Jack’s team didn’t win all of their games, but he played really well. He was pleased with his game performance. We didn’t stay long at the club after the tournament was over. We were just too exhausted. We got home around 2:30 pm and all showered. It was time to chill for the rest of the evening. Another week done. 






No comments:

Post a Comment