Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sick and sicker!

The weekend was so exhausting with so much rugby. I woke up Sunday morning and didn't feel right for some reason. I proceeded to get dressed, pack lunches and get the kids ready for the day. After I took the kids to Kayleigh's I felt the sickness increase. Because I was supposed to go to Wafa's (my Arabic Vice Principal) house after school to see her baby, I went ahead and drove to school. Once I got there, I put the baby gift I had bought for Wafa on my English Vice Principal's desk and told her I was going home. 

Once I got home I slept most of the day. Stuart had gone to the doctor as well because he had a deep muscle pain in his upper arm from the rugby match on the Friday before. He came home and we barely spoke, mainly because I was asleep. 

We went to pick the kids up and I took Millie to dance. The hall where she dances was being used for a faculty meeting yet no one informed the dance instructor until we got there. This is rather the norm in this country. We ended up going to the gym of the school. Once there, the three mommies were told we had to leave. What? How on earth can I get good pictures if I have to leave?  I suppose there only needs to be one teacher in there. And Millie does pay more attention to me when I'm in there than she does to the teacher. Dance is not a cheap activity, so I suppose I want to get my money's worth. Ok, I'll stay out. 

We woke up Monday morning and Jack was not well. Stuart ended up staying home with him and taking him to the doctor.  Millie was still sleeping when I left the house so Stuart decided to take her to school so she could sleep in. He said she was uncontrollably sobbing when they left her at school. Poor girl just wanted to hang out with the boys. 

The boys went to the doctor once they dropped Millie off at school. The doctor got onto Stuart because Jack had on shorts and flip flops. Oops! It's technically winter here, but the temperatures are no different than Arizona. Neither of the kids has worn long pants this winter other than in the evening at the rugby club. 

At any rate Jack tested positive again for strep throat. The doctor said when it happens again that both Stuart and myself will need to be tested to see if either of us is a carrier of the bug. The doctor said he wouldn't even consider removing Jack's tonsils, yet this is about the tenth time he has had this in his short six years. His tonsils are also very large, even on a well day. We shall see if this continues or not. Fortunately the schools have implemented 'Emergency' days that we can now use for such occasions as a sick kid or busted water pipe. So Stuart used one of his 'Emergency' days on Monday. 

Jack was wearing shorts and flip flops when he went to the doctor and Stuart was the one who got reprimanded because it was 'too cold' for shorts and flip flops. Oops! So when I got home we headed to the mall to buy some sweats for Jack. Naturally we had to buy donuts as well. 
Monday it started raining around 9 am. We were in an assembly when it started. When we came out of the auditorium and into the foyer, the boys saw the ran and started screaming....literally. Because rain is SO uncommon in this country, the kids truly go bananas. They are ridiculous and they were not able to focus for the last 20 minutes I was teaching. It was unlike anything I have ever experienced. 

It rained the rest of the day and into Tuesday. Rugby practice was canceled Monday evening. Because of the rain very few students came to school on Tuesday, which was good since Jack was still sick and it was my turn to stay home with him. 

I ended up going into work to do an observation. Jack came with me and napped on the sofa in Wafa's office. Around 9 am we left and I brought Jack home. By that time it had stopped raining. However, there were flooded streets all over the place, which made for crazy drivers, or I should say, crazier drivers. 

Jack watched a few Scooby Doo movies we downloaded from iTunes. You do things like that when your boy is poorly. He finally decided to nap around noon and slept for nearly three hours. Once he was awake he perked up a bit. He and Millie took a bath, they both ate dinner and then Millie fell asleep on the sofa. Jack went to bed shortly after Millie fell asleep. He was shivering and stated he thought he was going to throw up. He's never been nauseous when he had strep throat so I was really concerned. He also wouldn't take Tylenol. He said it would make him throw up. 

After he had been asleep for about a half hour I went in and he was burning up. I insisted he take the Tylenol telling him I would have to take him to the hospital and he would have to spend the night if he didn't take the medicine. He relented and took it. 

Wednesday Jack was still sick. I stayed home with him and might have had a small break down, both of us. He started to perk up around noon and by the time Millie got home he was about to drive me crazy so I knew he was on the mend for sure. Because he was still not 100%, I decided I would stay home from rugby training again. My knee thanked me. 

Just as Stiart was returning from training I decided to give Jack his dose of medicine. Jack was having none of it and ended up spitting half of it at me. Oh did that irritate me. After about an hour of arguing back and forth, Stuart told Jack he could go back to sleep but if he did so without taking the medicine then he could consider himself finished with rugby for the season. Jack went to bed, Stuart got Jack's rugby boots and purposely paraded them by his bedroom where Jack could see, all the while I was showering, trying to 'cool' off. Jack came out of his room and took the medication. Excellent parenting? It got the result we wanted, but not sure it was right. 

Thursday Jack was fully recovered and went to school. I lost my voice teaching the grade 4 boys. I might have raised my voice a few times. 

Thursday evening the Richardsons came over for a roast dinner with all the vegetables you could imagine. It was delightful. We are way too much and enjoyed every calorie. 

Friday we went to Dubai for Stuart's rugby match. He played really well. In fact, the whole team did. They still didn't win, but they are bound to at some stage because they are improving all of the time. Stuart got this lovely souvenir from the game. 
He's not really sure what happened, but it is ugly nonetheless. 

After the match, Stuart rode the bus home and the Richardsons and the rest of the Telfords went to the outlet mall to get a bite to eat, forgetting that it was a Friday evening. In fact, we avoid any mall on most evenings, but especially Fridays. It was manic and there were no parking places. However, there is no other place to eat between the mall and Al Ain. So we were stuck with our choice. 
Parking was impossible. So what do you do when there is no place to park? You pull up on the median sidewalk. That's how we roll in the UAE. 

Saturday we got up and went to the mall. We took Jack to the Play Zone where he inner tubed down a 'ski' slope. He wanted to go so badly that he said he would use his own money. So we let him go. It's possible that we may teach him something about money this year, other than how to trade your sister your 50 dirham note (about $13) for a cheap plastic ring she has. Ugh!

We left the mall and went to the Rouvis for a spot of tea and biscuits. I love not having tedious jobs to do over the weekends, therefore leaving us a great deal of time to hang out with our friends. It's awesome!

It became a later night than I had hoped for, but once we got home and the kids were bathed and fed, we called Grammie and Pop. So the later bedtime was well worth it. 

All in all, another fabulous week, oh except for the sicknesses. By the way, I now have a cold with a slight cough. Lovely!





No comments:

Post a Comment