Sunday, May 14, 2017

Back, knee, and car trouble.

We received a message from Brighton College letting us know that because of damage done from a storm on Thursday, there would be no school on Sunday. Well, that threw us a bit. Fortunately, Clare is always helpful and takes them for us when things like this happen. I ended up taking them to Clare's at 7 am and then heading to school. I taught the entire week again but was told the regular teacher would be back the following week. Time will tell. 


The boys' behaviour at school seems to be  a bit better. There seem to be more adults around during volatile times, which I know makes a huge difference. Ramadan starts in three weeks, so we just have to hang on until then. 


I left work early in order to get Millie to gymnastics in Dubai. We were actually on time for this class. Boy do I wish I would have never signed her up for this class. Ramadan timings mean her class will be moved to 2:30 pm instead of 3:30 pm. I'm not even sure we will get out of school in time to get her there. Oh how I wish there were something here that would be suitable for her. We are going to try out a new dance class in a couple of weeks so maybe she will get into that. 

Once we had made our McDonalds run, we headed back to Al Ain to pick Jack up from the club. He didn't do his homework for Sunday and was acting like a total booger. It's almost like he is a teenager but at the age of eight. It could be a long few years. 


Millie went to school in regular clothes on Monday because she had to put her Little Red Riding Hood costume over them. She had the dress rehearsal for her play on Monday. Stuart took me to school because our Land Rover died on the way to the club Sunday evening. He made arrangements to have our mechanic pick it up from the club. 


I taught in the afternoon, but had the morning to work on my end of the year certificates for my teachers. I also spent a great deal of time corralling the boys to take them to the social worker. One of my teachers brought me home from school. Once I spoke with the kids, Jack reported to me how great of a job Millie did in her dress rehearsal. The junior school was able to watch it. He said she knew everyone's part and helped those that forgot their lines. 


The kids were up doing their homework. Stuart had put their desks and chairs together so Millie was super excited about her new study space. I put some chicken in the crock pot and carried on with my after school routines. The kids and I took Molly for a walk once the sun had started to go down and it was less brutal outside. She tuckered out quickly and didn't pee or poo once when we were outside. Of course once we got back inside she peed on the floor. 


Stuart went to a Puckett Tour meeting, preparing for his rugby tour. He was then supposed to go to training but they ended up not having training. The kids showered and Millie went to bed straight to bed because of her ill behavior. I wish the kids could both behave appropriately on the same day. It would be super nice if they would coordinate their attitudes. 


Tuesday we were all up and very excited about Millie's play. Millie had told me that morning that it was important that Daddy brought her flowers to her performance. I cracked up inside. Sadly, we forgot to do so, but so did she so no big deal in the end. 


Cathy took me to work because our Land Rover was still in the shop. Stuart picked me up just after noon and we headed to Brighton College. Millie's play was brilliant. She knew everyone's lines and helped when she needed to do so. I was so impressed. You know, when Jack was young, every time he learned something we took a bit of pride because we knew his smarts came from us. With Millie, because of her beginnings, when she would learn something we would be totally relieved. This year has proven to us that she is a smart little cookie and we are so very thankful to God for the blessing of Millie and that she is a healthy, smart and sassy little girl. We are truly blessed with both of our kids. 

After Millie's play, Jacob's mum took Jack and Millie to a play zone so that Stuart could take me to get my MRI on my back. It was a quick process and the follow-up would be on Saturday morning. We picked the kids up and Stuart dropped us at the house, and went to the store, because the dog had been on her own for way too long. As you would guess, she had a lovely mess for me to clean up. 


Stuart went to get something for dinner and the kids did their homework at their new desks, which, again, Millie loves. We attempted to take the dog on a walk, but it was still a bit hot on the pads of her feet so we brought her back inside. 


The kids played around and then headed up for a shower. They faffed about and got a few check marks on their pocket money chart, which means they get money taken away. It didn't seem to phase them. However, after their shower and the mess they made, making them go to bed early seemed to have an impact. Cathy came over for a chat Tuesday evening after the kids were in bed. We just griped about school and talked about how ready we were for Ramadan to start. 


Jack woke up early because of his early bed time. He was awake just before 5 am. I  was off to school and shortly after school started, my 9 spelling bee winners headed to the Al Ain competition in town. I was the Bee Master, which meant I was the one who pronounced the words. Of all the accents we have here, it was decided mine was the clearest with word pronunciation.  Still yet, the panel gave me total crap throughout the entire spelling bee. My grade 4 students ended up winning the 2nd place trophy. We were back to school in time for the school day to end. I then rode home with some of my teachers as our Land Rover was still in the shop. 


I got home and the kids were restless, a bit wild for lack of a better word. Stuart put our door back on the maids room so we could start leaving the back door out to the patio open for the dog during the day. Once the door was on, Stuart headed off to a meeting and then training, but when he got back he said they didn't actually train. 


The kids went to bed at their normal time. Prior to Stuart leaving Millie was off the wall. She ended up being in her room for nearly a half hour. To break the will of this child, and not the spirit, is a difficult task. 


I was up on Thursday and apparently I did something horrible to my knee on Wednesday evening because it was swollen and difficult to walk on Thursday morning. It was a good thing I would be seeing the orthopedic doctor on Saturday for more reasons than just my back. 


Thursday I taught my three period and then went to my office to do some paper work. I got pulled into a boys' classroom because the person who was covering needed to go to the intervention room for some of our ill behaved boys. 


After school I headed to buy a gift for Millie's classmate, Dareen, then picked up Jack from his math club, took him home and he went to a going away party for one of his rugby teammates, Hunter. Millie and I then took Stuart to get the Land Rover, then headed to Dareen's birthday party. Her party was a bit over the top. However, we find that's the case here more times than not. Stuart went to the club for the Coaches Awards night. We picked Jack up at the club after Dareen's party and went to Clare and Scott's for a chilli party. As you would guess, by the end of the evening  we were partied out. Millie had fallen asleep about an hour before we left Scott and Clare's. 

Millie was irritated that she didn't get to take a picture closer to Hello Kitty. We did get one in the end, but she had to push her way in. 

We ended taking our friend Gereldine and her daughter Neen home. On the way we started to discuss the kids going to their new school. Jack wouldn't talk about it. He was cranky once they left the car. He accused us of not even trying to keep them at Brighton. It's so difficult to explain money matters to children. He will understand one day. 


We got up Friday morning and got ready to go to Dubai to see Mary Poppins. We went to Dubai Mall early, had lunch at an Italian eatery, and then headed to the Dubai Opera House, just a short walk from the Dubai Mall, where we parked. 


Mary Poppins was just as good as when I saw it in London. The kids absolutely loved it. To watch their eyes when the dancing and singing was taking place was quite a pleasure. I love to see their excitement when they experience new things. 


After the play was over, we headed back to the mall for a little browsing. I began arguing with Jack about the fact that we can't go to a store without him asking to buy something. He got stroppy and decided he wasn't going to leave the toy store. We did a grocery shop at Waitrose and then headed home. I had put the kids' jammies in the car, so they were all set to fall asleep on the way home. 


Kayleigh had stayed most of the day with Molly so she wouldn't be lonely. We had to stop at the house on the way back to get the Land Rover keys because we had left it at the club the night before when we went down to the Richardson's. We could hear her yelping, but carried on to get the other car. Once we were home both kids went to bed while Stuart and I cleared out the car. It was television and bed for us shortly after the kids were in bed. 


Saturday morning I was up and out to go get insurance on the Land Rover so we could get it licensed again. The first place I went isn't open on Saturdays. The next place I went wasn't open and wouldn't be until 9. Dang! This weekend had already been too busy. I really needed something to go smoothly. I went back home and Stuart made an English breakfast. I then headed to the orthopedic doctor for the follow up of my MRI. I thought I could sneak to the traffic inspection place and at least get my insurance, but the system was down. I was a bit late to my doctor appointment, but it wasn't that big of a deal. 


Once I met with the doctor, she ordered another X-ray on my knee because of what I had done to it on Wednesday, but my back MRI just showed that I was old. While I was waiting to see the doctor, after my X-ray, a guy came into the office where I was sitting and started speaking Arabic to me, showing me his insurance card and the splint he had on his finger. Really? I don't work here! I went out into the hallway, called a nurse over and said, 'This man needs something and clearly he thinks I work here'. She took care of things and all was right with the world again. 


The X-ray showed nothing knew. Again, I am just old. Once I left the hospital with some new medication, I headed to the booze shop, African Eastern to collect my free bottles of booze we had won at one of the Quiz nights at the rugby club. 


Jack and Millie were going to Bounce for a birthday party, so I decided I would meet Leanne for coffee. Stuart brought the kids and although I was in the same place I didn't see them. After a proper catch up with Leanne, I headed back to the inspection place. After some confusion, I decided to just get the insurance and I would have to get the inspection and license renewed the following day. Just before 2 pm my jobs for the day were finished. I drove home, picking up the kids from Sean's before heading home. Stuart and Sean needed to sort out some things regarding the rugby tour. 


Scott called and he had taken Biscuit to the vet up by our house. He wanted to know if the kids and I wanted to ride with him down to their house and then Stuart could come when he was finished at Sean's. So we did just that. Stuart showed up about an hour later and we had a lovely evening at Richardsons, including dinner, good conversation and a show called Big Heads, which was hysterical. 


Another great week in the UAE. 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post, big fan. Keep up the good work andplease tell me when can you publish more articles or where can I read more on the subject?
    Japan auction cars

    ReplyDelete