Sunday, May 28, 2017

Rugby tour and a staycation.

Sunday morning came way too early. My sick teacher messaged me at 5:15 am and told me she had an appointment in Abu Dhabi. I ended up teaching three periods with the girls and a period on the boys' side. We needed to pull one of out teacher assistants to cover our intervention room, which meant I was needed to cover the grade 4 boys' class. 


I left early to get Millie to go to gymnastics. Stuart showed me a new map app to download, and I actually got to the gym faster and I didn't get lost. It's the little things that mean a lot. 


After gymnastics we went to park and shop for a few items before heading to McDonalds and then home. Millie found a 500 dirham note while we were at Park and Shop. She turned it in to a very happy young man who had dropped it just minutes before. Millie fell asleep on the way home. When I got home Jack was ready for bed. I carried Millie to bed, unloaded the car and then took Jack up to bed. Stuart and I watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit before heading to bed ourselves. 


Monday morning I was up, changed Millie's bed, which was well overdue, did my morning jobs and left for school. On the way I got a message from my teacher that she was in the emergency room. This meant I would be covering her class for the afternoon. I decided to take my class to our buddy readers. It wasn't a terribly fantastic learning time, but it saved me from actual teaching. 


Monday evening Mandy came over for a chat. We sat outside and chatted for a couple of hours. She ended up staying for dinner, which Stuart came home and made after he got back from rugby training. I had prepped most of the taco stuff and he did the beef when he returned. 


Tuesday I was teaching again. We had fewer students at school. This is very typical of the week before Ramadan. After school I helped get the kids showered and ready to go to Dubai to see Grandad. Andrew was teaching in Dubai so Stuart and the kids went to have dinner with him, while I stayed home and got ready for my staff night out. It was a bit sad because I'm transferring at the end of this year. I love my staff, but realize it's time for a change. 


Wednesday school was chilled and there were way fewer kids. The teachers were able to combine classes and have fewer teaching periods. Many teachers spent a lot of time in my office on Wednesday. Socially, our lives are getting ready to be way more fun. 


After school Stuart and I went to Brighton for parent meetings with the kids' teachers. They had nothing but wonderful things to say about Jack and Millie. Millie's progress this year has exceeded our expectations, and Jack is writing better than I do. He's so creative. We are so very proud of their progress this year. 


Once we were home, we showered the kids and headed to the golf club for sushi night. We decided since Stuart was leaving for Thailand the following morning, we would have a dinner out together. Sean and Mandy joined us at the club. Dinner was fantastic. The sushi at the golf club is the closest thing to real sushi I've had in this country. 

Jack loves sushi!
Millie thinks this is sushi!

We got home and the kids were off to bed. Stuart was up at 2 am to head to Abu Dhabi for his flight to Puckett. Unfortunately his flight was delayed by almost 4 hours. Seems the jet dumped all of its fuel and they had to disembark for a while. 


The kids and I got up just before 6 am and headed off to school. We had arranged to have a potluck at school, so all the English teachers brought a dish to share. I left early for a Head of Faculty meeting. We were saying goodbye to some of our felllow Heads of Faculty, so it wasn't much of a meeting. 


Once Millie was home from school we went and picked up Cathy, then headed to get Jack from his math club. However, once we got there I was informed that his last club day was actually the week before this one. Sometimes I forget to read the school bulletin. Oops!


At any rate we were off to Abu Dhabi for a staycation at the Raha Beach Hotel. It seems to be what we do now when Stuart goes to Thailand. It's relaxing and fun for the kids. When we arrived we went straight to the pool. Since dinner was right upon us we decided to just get food from the pool bar. We had a few hours in the pool and then headed up for showers. The kids fell asleep watching the Disney channel while Cathy and I sat on the balcony enjoying the view. 

Friday morning we were up and at breakfast by 8 am. We decided to go and see Diary of a Wimpy Kid at the cinema in the mall attached to the hotel. It was really cute, and by the time we got out the Rouvis were at the pool. We got to the pool just before 1 pm and spent a good 4 hours there. Then it was up to the room and off to dinner. We were in bed by 8 pm for a restful night and another day by the pool. 


Saturday morning was much of the same, up for breakfast and down to the pool. We asked for a late check out so we could come back to the room for showers before heading home. Ramadan had started on Saturday so there was no eating in public, thus no food court at the mall was open for lunch. So we opted to go to the super market for some snacks to consume on the way home. Our truck windows are quite dark so we could get away with eating while on the road. 


We ended up getting home around 2:30 pm and chilled for the rest of the day. It was rather nice. Millie had a 15 minute cat nap in the car just before we got home, so getting her to bed was a nightmare. Luckily, Sunday would be the start of Ramadan hours at school, which meant we all went in an hour later. We had a wonderful weekend, but Millie cried when going to bed on Saturday night because she missed Daddy. Bless her!  


Once the kids were in bed I sat down to some television and had a bit of a nap. I was awakened by a Skype call from Stuart. He informed me they hadn't won any of their games but they were having a great time. He and Sean were in charge of the tour and apparently had received many compliments as to how well things were going. I know that makes it all worth it to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment