Sunday, February 4, 2018

That darn cat, and a run in with the authorities

Sunday I walked alone again. Lara can’t seem to shake this cold she has. When I got home from walking I looked at Oreo’s wound on his leg and he had gnawed off some of the stitches and there was a hole in his leg. Dang cat! I would have to take him back to the vet later in the morning. Fortunately, I was only at school until about 10:30 am. I left, picked up Oreo, headed to the vet and then on to my continuous assessment meeting. 


I went to the grocery store after my meeting. I then picked the kids up from school. When we got home, the kids did some homework. I then went to pick Oreo up at 4:30 pm. There was no kids’ rugby training, as they had their tournament the previous weekend and needed a rest. So Sunday evening, the kids went to a birthday party and the Princesses met up for a bite to eat. It had been ages since Clare, Rochelle, Leanne and I had been together. We had quite the natter (a Kiwi’s term for ‘chat’). It was a good laugh with wonderful friends. 



When I got home I watched some television, sorted Oreo out so he wouldn’t kill himself having his collar of shame on, and then locked him in the bathroom for the night. 



I got up to walk, but before I left, I sorted out the cat, took his collar off so he could eat and drink, and then hit the road with Duke. Oreo had wrecked the bathroom, but I couldn’t afford for him to wreck his stitches again, so I would get over the mess. 


I went to work and was to do walk throughs. Time got away from us so none of them got finished. After school, I had my observation with a presentation of engagement strategies. I did a dang good job, if I do say so myself. 


Once I left school, I headed to meet Millie’s teacher. I got a relatively good report. The only negative was that Millie talks to much in class. So shocking! Once I dropped Millie and Jack, who’d been at swim squad, at home, I went to meet with Hannah. We planned out the social event for the rest of 2018. 


Once I was home, Stuart left for training. Just after he left, I got a knock at the door. The complex security guard was standing at my door, holding a citation that was written in Arabic. He told me it said that the municipality had been contacted regarding my dog disturbing the peace. I called Stuart at the club and he decided to come home and go to the police station to sort out the compliant. We were sure it was from the guy who lived across from us. He had complained about Molly, which caused us to give her away. We had hopes that the complaint had taken that long to get to us. 


Stuart found out nothing. He did go to the neighbor, but the neighbor denied calling the  authorities. I messaged the lady who owns our vet clinic, who is Emirati, and asked if she would translate the citation for us. She started helping us sort it out. The kids will be heartbroken if we have to give Duke away. We decided we would move him to Scott and Clare’s for a few days until we could speak to someone at the municipality. The citation apparently said someone would come to our home in three days to inspect it. 


I didn’t sleep well at all on Monday. I suppose I was worried about this citation. I know it will be sorted out, but what a pain. 


Tuesday morning it was just Duke and I who walked. On our second mile, the wild dogs who live in an abandoned house down the road from our complex, came out and started barking at us. They even started chasing us. Duke is a big wuss, so he was no help at all. He didn’t bark or anything, which is why I know the citation has nothing to do with him. 


Once we turned around and they stopped following us, I heard them still barking and a lady screaming as if she were being attacked. I ran back to the guard gate at my complex and asked the security guard to call the police. He said he wouldn’t, as it was not happening in our complex. There is something wrong with people who do not want to help others who might be in potential danger. I told him that was pathetic. Then I got home and got in my car to drive down to where I had heard the screaming. By the time I got there, there were no dogs or screaming lady to be seen. I hoped this was a positive thing. 


I went to school and was concerned most of the day. Our Emirati friend contacted a client she has in the municipality and stated he would speak to a supervisor over the man who wrote the citation. He said he would address the fact that he gave the citation to the security guard instead of bringing it to us himself. And she said he should have come to inspect our home at the same time. 


We hoped this meant they would come soon, while Duke wasn’t there, and check things out. Millie came up with the plan to take Duke to Scott and Clare’s until ‘that man’ came to our house, and then we could go and bring Duke home. We thought it was a great plan, but our moral guide, Jack, said we were being ‘sneaky’. We asked him if he wanted to give Duke away and then he decided it wasn’t  THAT sneaky. 


After school, I rushed to pick the kids up, feed them McDonalds in the car on the way home, dropped off Jack, got Millie changed for dance and me changed for golf, and then drove to dance. Our Tuesday afternoons are rushed indeed. 


Millie had dance, and seemed to love every minute of it. I picked up Cathy after Millie’s dance class, and then dropped Millie at the rugby club. Cathy and I went to golf.  When I got back from golf, Sean was home. He had spent the last two nights camping with the local soldiers. Stuart and the kids were taking Duke to the Richardson’s for his mini vacation. 


Stuart and the kids got home, and the kids showered. They had some fruit and then were off to bed. At golf that evening, we learned how to use the driver. It was so fun. I messaged the video my golf instructor took of me hitting the ball. I was so proud of my progress in just three lessons, until Stuart took the wind out of my sail with his only comment, ‘what happened to your balance?’  Way to build me up, honey.


I took Oreo’s collar off so he could eat and drink, but put it back on after about an hour. I am not paying for another stitching job. 


We watched television for a bit once the kids were in bed. At 8:25, I realized I had been snoozing. Stuart handed me the remote and said he was going to bed. I put it on the table and said I was also going to bed as well. I got a very long sleep on Tuesday evening. 


I got up to walk and Lara asked where Duke was. I told her the entire sorted story. Poor dog. He’s getting a bad reputation for something he didn’t even do. 


We had a spelling bee at another school on Wednesday. So I spent most of the day with two boys from my school. They didn’t do so well, but it was nice to be out of school for the day. When we got back, we had professional development. When we all got ready to leave for the day, there were 5 students sitting in the reception area. At that moment, it dawned on me that I had late bus duty. When the bus went to drop these students off at home, there was no one there to receive them. The bus drivers are not allowed to drop students off without there being an adult to receive them at the home. It doesn’t happen often, which is why I usually love having this duty on a Monday or Wednesday, because those are the days we stay late after school anyway. So I was bummed when I had to stay until they were all picked up. 


When I got home Stuart left for training. The kids had dinner and showered. They watched some television and then were off to bed. I just chilled in front of the trash tv I love. 


Thursday the English teachers collected items for our school cleaners. They make very low wages and are terribly appreciative of anything they get from us. School was virtually uneventful. Thursday evening Cathy came over and we ordered curry. She brought a dart board she had bought her girls several years ago for Christmas. We played darts and out a few holes in the wall. Oops! We then decided to play cards. We stayed up way too late for this almost 50 year old. 


Friday I spent the day with DeDe in Dubai. We went to a place called The Beach. 



It was a lovely beach with great art stalls and other fantastic shopping. We had a wonderful time. We ended up at Park and Shop, where I usually find some of the comfort foods from home. I ALWAYS spend too much money there, but it’s soothes my soul. Stuart had a match in Dubai so the kids stayed with Kayla, Lara’s daughter. I got home just before 7 and Stuart and Sean followed shortly after. Stuart was sore from the match. Sean said he played his best game ever. 



Saturday morning we woke up to Millie screaming. Seems she had tried to wake Jack to go downstairs and he slapped her. Pleasant! So of course, since Millie was awake, we all had to be awake. 


Stuart made breakfast and we sat around the house most of the day. Jack was grounded from electronics and both kids were at each other’s throat most of the day. They cleaned out some of their toys and then we got ready for our family photos. We dropped food at Scott and Clare’s and went to Green Mubazzarah for photos. I’m hopeful they will come out great. 


We ended up at the Richardson’s for a roast dinner. Clare was out of sorts as she had just found out she had to have a biopsy of a lump they found on her breast. I felt for her. That’s a scary thing for sure. She will have the procedure on Monday. It’s was a solemn end to a weekend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment