Sunday, April 28, 2019

Another week, another dirham

I got up Sunday morning and walked with Lara. We said goodbye for good to our dear Mr Clarke. Millie was sad, butlooked forward to meeting her new teacher, Mr. Milnes. We all were curious about him. He was due into school on Wednesday. 

After school Lara went with me to McGettigans,the venue where we were having the Rugby Ball on Friday. We needed to check to make sure everything was set for decorating. 

On the way home, we stopped at the vegetable stand close to the Village. I decided to get okra to fry for Jack. He had been at Lara’s a few days before and she was frying okra. He had a taste and seemed to fall in love. The plan was to fry it up the following night. 

I got home and Cathy came over to help me make decorations for the ball. We made paper chains that looked like tickets for a ride. They were cute, but quite time consuming. 

Sean came over for strategic planning regarding the rugby committee for the 2019-2020 season. Our Annual General Meeting is on May 2, wherewe vote in the committee for the following season.  We all have to reapply for our current positions. 

Millie went to bed at 7 pm, but wouldn’t go to sleep. She just kept saying things from upstairs. At 8:45 she said she had a nightmare.  I informed her that you can’t have a nightmare when you are wide awake.  She finally went to sleep. 

However, when Stuart went up to bed, she must have woken and came in to bother him. She was told she would go to bed especially early on Monday evening. 

Monday morning we got to school and the day began. Nothing monumental happened, but we did have a meeting at the end of the day about our last House competition at school. Since it will be Ramadan, we can’t have any music for the competition, nor food. 

I left just after the meeting. When we got home, I started in on folding laundry. Then I went to work on cutting up mangoes and kiwis. I then made dinner for the kids, which included fried okra. After dinner was fixed, I made three batches of banana bread. While that was baking, I ironed two outfits for work. I was such a productive domestic goddess. 

The during. 

The finished product. In the end, Jack didn’t like the okra. He said, ‘Mom, I don’t mean to hurt your feelings, but I don’t like this stuff.’ So that was the end of that. I, on the other hand, loved it. 

The beginning. 

Stuart went to the club for a bit. Millie went to sleep, as promised, at 6 pm. She actually stayed in bed and went to sleep. Jack was off to bed around 8 pm and I took a well-deserved shower and proceeded to lay on the sofa for my evening of television indulgence. I actually went to bed at 9:30 pm. But due to the fact that I don’t need a great deal of sleep, I was awake at 3 am and didn’t really go back to sleep. Ugh!

Tuesday morning we didn’t walk because Lara did something to her foot and I don’t like to walk alone. It’s too difficult to do so with both dogs. 

I picked up Alice and Tommy for school because Joan had a couse in Dubai on Tuesday and Wednesday. We got to school in time for swim squad. Tommy and Jack were dropped off at the senior school, while the girls and I proceeded to the junior school. 

It was a good day, busy but good. I freaked out when the Head of Academics was covering for one of my teammates and asked me what I was doing in maths. I told her that although I was teaching the concept, I wasn’t doing the activity that was outlined in the plans. She came around later and asked me if I was having math on Thursday morning after the assembly. After panicking that I was being observed again, it was finally revealed to me that someone was coming for ateaching interview  and they were using my children as the class for the lesson. Whew!

At the end of the day, I took Millie to dance, as the girl she normally goes with was sick. I had a chat with one of the moms from dance. We were looking at some new classes for the girls next year. 

When Millie finished her class, we headed to pick Jack up from the birthday party he was attending at Bounce. When we got home, McDonalds was delivered. You heard that right. Gotta love a country where McDonalds delivers. 

Cathy and Lara came over to help me finish the paper chains, and really for a chat. Lara sewed my fabric together as well. 

Wednesday school was uneventful. That evening we had to go to the club for a committee meeting. Then Lara came over to tell me about her foot issue. It seems she sprained it walking down her stairs on Sunday after we walked. Strange. 

Thursday after school we went to the mall to get Stuart   a birthday gift. Once we were home and the gifts were wrapped, we headed to the Club for coaches appreciation. I had decided it couldn’t be a late night as I had to get a lot done the following day for the ball. 

Stuart opened his presents as soon as Millie woke up. We ate cinnamon rolls and the I was off to the venue. Brain and Cathy came with me Friday morning to hang the swag from the posts in the beer garden. It only took about an hour. Once we were back home, I took a shower and got ready to go to the salon to have a mani/pedi and have my hair done. 

Why does the back of my hair look so great, yet I don’t get to enjoy the view. Shame. 

While I was getting gorgeous, Stuart took Jack to a sleepover birthday party. That would mean that Millie would stay with Claire Friday evening. She was totally fine with having Claire’s attention allto herself. 

I got home just in time for my make-up to be done by a teacher here. I always freak out a bit when I have my make-up done as I think it makes me look older. But she does an amazing job. 

I tried to go for a bit of a Send in the Clowns look, because the theme of the ball was Under the Big Top. 

Once my make-up was finished, I got dressed and headed to McGettigans to finish decorating. The wind had kicked up during the day, but in the end the decorations withstood the wind. The entire evening was a total blast. We didn’t get home until almost 1 am, but the lack of sleep was worth all the laughs. 

Me and the birthday boy. I told him I was throwing him a BIG birthday party. Ha!


Lara, Leanne (who decided at the last minute to come to the ball), Cathy, and me. 

My man and my girls!

Saturday morning we got up and had breakfast. We picked Jack up from his sleepover at 10 am. Then we headed out to clean up the party decorations. I threw everything in my boot and decided I would sort it out later. 

I lazed around for the rest of the day. I couldn’t be bothered to get off the sofa. Around 5:30 pm Cathy picked us up and we headed to a new restaurant called Off the Hook. We had heard great things about it. It did not disappoint. It was a wonderful concept and the food was amazing. This was our celebration of Stuart’s birthday. Sean and his daughter Carly came, as did Cathy and Claire. We were with the people we love the most. It was a great birthday weekend. 









We picked our sauce and it was seafood in a bag. We ate with plastic gloves and bibs. We will definitely visit this place again. 

The kids went to bed shortly after we got home from dinner. We were all tired and were trying to gear up for our last week of regular hours. Ramadan starts in another week and our hours go from 9 hour days to 6 hour days. It’s the law in a Muslim country, and I love it!













No comments:

Post a Comment