Sunday, May 12, 2019

Ramadan Kareem

Well, we went to school on Sunday waiting for the announcement of Ramadan. Our hours are shorter during this month, which is our perk for sure. It was assumed, and the assumption was true, that our shortened days would start on Monday. 

Jack got to school and was disappointed he wasn’t invited to the Aquathon that was taking place that morning. When this Mama Bear found out the children were chosen from a paid after school club, and then randomly selected by the PE teachers, I was hot! I finally got my point across after the PE teacher emailed me for a third time and said ‘I am all about letting children participate and not as concerned about winning at this age’. Needless to say, I was irritated. I seldom defend my kids when they don’t get something they want, but this time I had to speak up. Jack is the fastest swimmer in the Junior school and he has won every running race in Year 5 this entire year. When I emailed back saying, ‘So you are telling me if our school was in a Math competition, we would seriously consider sending a mediocre math student?’ I also said, ‘So if we aren’t at a competition to win, then we are there NOT to win?’ I went on to say that participation and competition are very different things and there is a time and place for each of them. He got my point! Sadly, this attitude of everyone needs a trophy is what has created some of childish behavior in professional athletes. Give them their due because they are talented, but sometimes they are spoiled brats. Off my soapbox now. 

I walked Monday morning with Lara. It was also our first day of Ramadan timings. The day flew by. After school we went directly to the pool. I swam 1500 yards and then played in the plunge pool for about an hour. I then met Hannah in the gym to do my weight training. We ran 2 kilometers around the pitches. I was so pleased that I did it without stopping. The kids had stayed at the pool with Lara, so I ran down to get them. 

When I got home, I showered, ate dinner and headed to the hospital to see Cathy. She had been admitted because she had a collapsed lung. She is a medical phenomenon. We really shouldn’t giggle about it, but if I were to get a cold and Cathy were to catch the same cold, hers would end up as a collapsed lung because of complications. It’s so strange. 

Once I was home from the hospital, I went up and kissed the kids goodnight. Daddy had been in charge of getting them to bed. I continued watching my new series, Dead to Me. Sadly, there’s  one season out, so my obsession won’t last for long. 

Tuesday morning we were off to school. The frustrations that the morning brought on convinced Stuart and myself that the kids needed some new ‘to do’ lists. They have become a bit entitled lately, too expectant. It’s as if they feel we owe it to them to make their breakfast, bring them a glass of milk, and put away their clothes after I’ve washed, dried and folded them. It’s not that I don’t do these things for them, it’s just that they have started not helping at all. So, on Tuesday afternoon, once we were home from school, that all changed. The chore charts were posted on the kitchen cabinets. 

We went to get some flowers for Claire because her exams were starting on Wednesday. Since Cathy was in the hospital, we wanted to make sure Claire was being taken care of. 

I took Millie to dance and then headed to the mall to exchange a shirt I had bought for Stuart for his birthday. I failed to remember most of the shops would not be open. During Ramadan most shops don’t open until after the sun goes down. Of course American Eagle, where I got the shirt, was closed. So I headed back to the dance studio to wait for Millie to finish. 

On the way home, Millie talked to me about her ‘other mom’. She asked me how old she had to be to meet her. I told her when she was 18 if she wanted to find her I would help her. A few minutes passed and she suddenly said, ‘I don’t want to meet her!’ I asked her if she was okay and she just started sobbing, telling me she didn’t want another mommy because I was her mommy. I felt so badly. All I could say was , ‘Millie, no matter what you do in your life, I will always be your mommy!’ When we were home, she ate, showered and went to bed. I cried and cried after she was in bed. Then I messaged my mom, sister in law and niece for some advice about Millie’s feelings. Their words gave me strength and I know they are praying for all of us. 

Wednesday the kids got up and did the things on their new chore list. They were very excited. I had my end of year conversation with the head of the junior school.   It seems I’ve done a decent job this year. Whew!  After school I took the kids swimming. Jack and Millie ate at the club. Stuart had a meeting while I worked out with Hannah. When we were finished at the club, we went to visit Cathy. She had been released from the hospital with a clean bill of health. 

We got home a bit later than normal, but now that the kids don’t have to be up until later, it doesn’t really bother me. They showered and then went to bed. I wasn’t terribly hungry so I showered and perched myself on the sofa. I do love that sofa. 

Thursday, even though some of our staff are fasting, it was the prep team’s turn to bring breakfast. I brought/made waffles, as is expected now. I actually went early enough to get all of them made before class started. After school on Thursday Millie went to Alice’s to play. Jack and I went home and then Stuart joined us at the pool. I swam laps and then dipped in the pool with my friends for a bit. Jack went home with Ian and Stuart and I shared chicken wings before heading home ourselves. We had purchased a game for Jack on his PS4 that would help him earn Vbucks and stop asking us to buy them for him. I understand nothing of what I just wrote, but I do know he will stop pestering me now. 

Once we were home, Cathy came over. She was feeling better and we had curry for dinner. Jack played his PS4 and Millie showered and went to bed when she got home from Alice’s. 

Friday morning we got up, had coffee and went to the golf club participate in the parent child morning class. We had breakfast after an hour at the driving range. 

The family outing. 

Jack!

Mills!

Once we were back home I went to get a rug from Al Ain Swap and Shop. Since Duchess seemed to think the rug in our office was her personal pee pad, we needed a new rug. This time of year, when people are selling things to go home, you can get some real bargains. We moved the rug from the living room into the office and then put the new rug in the living room. I think it’s lovely. 

Lovely new rug!

We went to the club for a women’s match of 15s. It was a fun night until Jack got punched in the face by one of the most docile boys on his rugby team. Unfortunately, it was his mouth that got him into the mess in the first place. However, they were calling him ‘gay’, which he didn’t like and decided to slap his friend that said that to him. The great part was that since we are all friends, they all hugged it out and went on their merry way. 

But this shiner showed up on Saturday morning. 

After the match Friday night, we invited people back to our place. I am not sure I fully enjoyed it as I was upset about Jack’s evening. Lara, who has two boys older than Jack, told me that was just boys and he was bound to get into a fight at some stage. Ugh! I don’t like the ‘some stage’ feeling. 

Saturday morning we lazed around for most of the day. We went to look at a roof rack to put on our car so we can go camping. The one thing we screwed up when we sold Stuart’s F150 was the ability to go camping. When you no longer have a vehicle to put all your camping crap in, it makes it difficult to go camping. We decided it would be a good purchased for us. Again, the best time to get things is when people are desperate to sell things. 

The kids played at Ian’s most of the day. Whenthey got home, they showered and we had dinner. Then to bed they went to start it all over again. Week 1 of Ramadan is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment