Sunday, January 26, 2020

Sick kid is no fun

Jack woke me up in the middle of the night, twice, as he had a raging headache. The second time I was woken up I told him to go back to bed and he wouldn’t be going to school. Stuart ended up going into school and then leaving second period to go home and stay with Jack. I remember staying at home by myself when I was sick at his age. I hope I’m not the bad mom for this. 

I had a meeting after school for a child’s IEP, then Millie and I went to the mall to buy a gift for Moza, a Shaikha who had invited Millie to her birthday party. What do you buy a girl who is worth millions? The party was at the palace, of course. 

We got home and had dinner, baths and bed for both kids. Jack still wasn’t feeling great but I told him he had to go to school on Monday. I hope my kids are tough enough to work through headaches and colds without having to stop in their tracks. 

Monday morning, as I suspected, Jack woke up with a headache and not wanting to go to school. I told him to get up and then he would feel better. I think I got my toughness from my parents. A ‘suck it up buttercup’ attitude always worked for me. He did as he was asked and got ready for school. 

We were excited as we had nothing to do after school and could come home right away. Or so we thought. We remembered after school that Millie’s swim squad was changed this term to Monday instead of Wednesday. Oops! Well, at any rate, we got to come home early. I went to the grocery store and got some butter and bread. The kids and Stuart left for training while I stayed at the house and waited for people to pick up furniture that I had sold. This part of leaving is what I am not going to love. The children’s director at our church came by the house as she had bought one of our rugs. She really blessed my heart with her conversation. She also told me that they would take all of our linens, blankets and towels once we were ready to leave the country. This was great news as I had no intention of selling any of those things and would have been looking for someone to take them and benefit from them. That was an answer to a prayer I never even prayed. Wow!

I picked Millie up from training and Jack stayed for conditioning with his team and then came home with Stuart. Lara came over for a chat once Millie was in bed.  Jack and Stuart got home just after 8:15. Jack showered, ate and went to bed. Lara left and my bed was calling me. 

Tuesday morning we were up and out with little fuss. We had a briefing after school. I left it a bit early and took Millie to the birthday party at the palace for Shaikha Moza’s birthday. She had a pet party. It was so cute and refreshing. It seems that sometimes the local children have an irrational fear of animals, but not Moza. She loves all animals. There were dogs, cats, a goat, snakes, a hedgehog, mouse, iguana, rabbits and more. It was amazing and the kids had a wonderful time. 

It was set up like a farm. 

The dining experience was adorable. 

This girl loves her some animals. 

I returned to school and picked up Stuart and Jack. We went home and Sean and his girlfriend came over for a while. I posted some more items to sell on Facebook and then I went back to pick Millie up from the party. She had eaten so we didn’t need to worry about feeding her. She had an ice pop and then went to bed. Jack followed shortly after her. 

Wednesday Jack had a basketball game and Millie had a football match after school. Jack’s team won a game and tied a game.  Millie’s little team won their match. Jack had rugby training but Millie didn’t because her team didn’t have enough players to make a second team for the Dubai tournament, which was all too fine for us. Jack was to play on Friday and Millie’s team was to play on Saturday. It’s a pain when this happens. So the fact that Millie didn’t have to go was best for all of us. We went to the club anyway and Millie played around while Jack trained. We got take away food and took Louie home after practice. The kids ate and went to bed. 

Always the tiniest one in the bunch!

Thursday after school the kids had tri club. Stuart decided to go have his eyes checked and found out his eye sight is worse than mine. Ha! The kids and I got  home and had some people pick up more furniture. I think we will be sitting on the floor soon. I’m thrilled we are getting rid of some of our larger pieces of furniture. Stuart made chicken tacos for dinner and we watched a movie. He stays out of the way when people pick items up from us. He hates that sort of thing. He did instruct me on Thursday morning that I wasn’t to sell the shelves in the kitchen just yet. I think he is sure I will sell everything in the next month and we will be sleeping on blow up mattresses. And what’s wrong with that?

Friday morning we were up at 6 am to go to Jack’s rugby tournament. We were gone all day. They only won one of their five matches. Jack is so intense and doesn’t understand why others are not. He tried to give his team a pep talk, but it didn’t help a great deal. I have no idea where he gets that competitive spirit. I told him he could only control his own play and as long as he was always doing his best, we were proud of him. The struggle is real. 

The team!

A boy and his coach. 

Once we realized that the team playing their match at 3 pm would have to win by over 100 points for us to go into the finals, we decided to collect all the jerseys and call it a day. We stopped at the outlet mall on the way back to Al Ain to try to find some swimmers for Jack and Millie. We found several cute swim suits for Millie, but only one pair for Jack. We decided to eat dinner at the mall. When we finally got home, Millie was asleep. I put her straight to bed. Jack took a shower and complained about his ear hurting. The poor boy has not felt well all week. It also doesn’t help that he gets banged around on the pitch for 5 matches. 

Around 7:30 pm someone came to get our upstairs sofa and a few games. That’s one more large piece of furniture that we don’t have to worry about. Yahoo! Jack went to bed at 8:30 pm. He had to be wiped out from his day of rugby. Stuart and I watched a movie and then he went to bed while I stayed up and watched The Circle, a new Netflix release. It’s entertaining. 

Saturday morning I got up and went to get my hair straightened and  cut. The picture below really explains why I don’t go to the hair dresser more than once every 8 to 12 months. They nearly lifted me off my seat!

Ouch!

After my hair was wrangled, Stuart was in the car and we headed elsewhere. He took our Jag to the shop. We needed to get it fixed before Cathy returned from the UK. Ooo, I’m not sure I wrote it here, but her lung collapsed over Christmas and she had to have the same surgery she had last summer, but to the other lung. Thank goodness she only has two lungs. At any rate, she has been away from the UAE since the middle of December. We have had her car and used it a few times because the Jag is under the weather and we sold my car.  So we needed to get the Jag sorted as Cathy thinks she will be coming back either this week or next. 

New hair!

We stopped at a store for some items I needed to do a mummification lesson next week. We then went to the super market and bought something for dinner. Sean and Jee came over to collect a picture and game Sean wanted, and Islay, Millie’s friend, came over to play. Some people came to look at Millie’s bunk bed and decided they wanted to buy it. Now we only have two desks to get rid of and most of our large furniture is gone. Whew!

We spent the rest of the evening watching mindless television. It was a great weekend and I felt quite productive throughout the week, which was great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment