Monday, January 25, 2016

Post surgery and beyond

I still had restless sleep on Sunday. The lady next door to me sounded as if she were dying. She had the exact same surgery but really sounded as if she were throwing up four times harder than me. She was SO loud. She also groaned and moaned until I wanted to go in and crank up her pain meds. It was obnoxious! I found out at my doctor's visit that she had not informed her husband she was having the surgery and was made at the doctor because their were incision marks. He said she was a bit psychotic.  

I progressively got better during the day, but started vomiting early Sunday morning. It seems the excess gas was causing the issues. Lovely side effect, hey? I also had an X-ray Sunday morning that showed whether the stomach had been cut correctly and the digestive track was running as normal. Well, of course, in order to see this on an X-ray you must drink a die that coats your digestive track. Needless to say, once I was back in my room, that die came back for a visit. The doctor came in early afternoon to tell me everything went well. He handed me his phone and had me call Stuart. Right as he was getting ready to take my drain out he suggested I hang up. Yep, that's nothing Stuart would have wanted to listen to. The drain being removed, as you would guess, made me barf. I was really over the barfing thing by then. Thank goodness it subsided after that. 

I was home and resting around midday on Monday morning. The kids got home from school and I brought them over to the sofa to talk to me. I said, 'I have something to tell you guys.'  Jack piped in and said, 'Did you bring us something?'  I guess I really didn't have anything to worry about after all. He was only worried about the gifts I brought them. I said, 'Yes, but first I need to tell you about what I did when I was away. I know I told you I went to Abu Dhabi, but what I didn't tell you was while I was gone I had a procedure that is going to make me healthier. I need to be healthier to be a better Mama.' Jack just looked at me and said, 'Ok, where are our presents?'  Done! 

Stuart didn't go to rugby Monday night. He stayed home to take care of me and the kids. I can only imagine he was super exhausted. Although he bargained for the surgery part, he had no idea that the three days prior I would be laid up with severe back spasms. Poor guy!

Tuesday was a lot of gas and sips of water. I was supposed to go to the doctor at 4 pm so we arranged for the kids to go to the club with Andrew and he came to pick them up at 3:45 pm. The doctor wasn't there when we get there and I was told my insurance card wasn't good any more. I called him and he said to come between 8 pm and 9 pm. He kind of runs his practice like a mom and pop shop; come when you like and then enjoy the company around you. I'll get to you when I can. However, in spite of this I like the guy. 

Cathy took me back to the doctor at 8 pm. The kids were in bed and Stuart was able to just relax. We waited for about 45 minutes and then went straight in. He informed me that the money I paid for the surgery covered every appointment with him from then on so there was never a need to go to reception again, I could just come straight back to his office when I got the the hospital. I asked him about pain meds and he said, 'You in a lot of pain?' I said, 'No, not really.' He said, 'Then Tylenol is good enough for you. No need to take meds you don't need.'  He took off my bandages and said he would see me on Sunday to take out the stitches. Easy enough. 

When we walked out of his office, as I was waiting for my sick note, there were some local ladies sitting in the office. They asked me about the surgery and asked me if I was happy. I told them I thought I was going to be. They said, 'Good luck, miss.' I really do love it when I can relate to the locals. 

Wednesday morning I woke up and my stomach was on fire. In all fairness I had not had many calories for an entire week. So I got up at 4 am and mixed up some pediasure, which was what he told me I could have. I sipped on the entire 8 ounces for about 2 hours and the pain started to subside within the initial sip. Clearly one is not meant to go entirely without food. 

I really just slept and watched television most of the day. I took a shower and that nearly did me in. Once the kids were home I helped Jack with some of his homework before Stuart ran him to piano lessons. Stuart really has stepped up and played a good Mr. Mom this last week. While Stuart took Jack to piano lessons, I asked Kayleigh to come over and bathe Millie. Because Stuart had dinner to sort out for the kids and then out them to bed before he left for rugby, we felt that would help save some time. Stuart's back thanked her. 

Once the kids were sorted in bed, Stuart left for rugby. I washed some more trash tv and then fell asleep shortly after he got home from the club. I slept on the sofa again because being propped up was still   A more comfortable way to sleep. 

I woke up Thursday morning and Stuart  decided to stay home with me. It was a nice treat. We watched X File reruns in preparation for the new series. We have 2 seasons left and we will be ready for the new ones. My gas totally disappeared and I got a little cocky. I decided I would go to the do the grocery shopping with Stuart and the kids. Well, I may have over stepped my limits. The trip was about 2 hours log because we fed the kids at KFC afterwards. By the time we got home at 6 pm, I just put my jammies on and got on the sofa. Woah! What a shopping trip that was. 

Friday morning we were up and to the club for weigh in at 9 am, then it was back home for breakfast and some rest. Stuart left for the club around 11:30 am and the kids and I waited for a ride from Clare around 2 pm. We got to the club just before 3 pm to watch Stuart's match. I was going to take a chair because they were playing on the new pitch, farthest away from the club. However, in the end I decided that sitting in a chair that is flimsy was worse than standing. 

During the match I started to feel a little strain from my stomach. I pushed my forearm into my side and it relieved some of the pressure. After the match I got the kids something to eat, and Stuart ate as well. He had hurt his elbow and we were all ready to go home just after 6 pm. 

Once we were home I threw both kids in the shower and Jack actually helped Millie wash her hair and get cleaned. With me in my post op state and Stuart not being able to lift his right arm, it seemed the only option was for Jack to help her. 

The kids watched a movie in our bed and Millie fell asleep. Jack was still awake just before 10 pm when Stuart went to sleep. I was still calling the sofa my bed because of the incline I still needed. Hopefully I won't be there much longer. 

I went to have 'coffee' with my friend DeDe on Saturday morning while Stuart and the kids went to the grocery store. When I got home we literally laid on the sofa the rest of the day. The kids had friends over to play while Stuart and I watched movies. It was great. 

I apologize for the bottom this blog is surely to show this week and next, but as I recover the fun will return!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment