Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 2 and now I'm bored!

Sunday I decided I knew best and should try to eat some applesauce with a scoop of protein powder mixed in. Big mistake! After stomach cramps were over, I stuck to liquids the rest of the day. 

I felt up to going to the grocery store just up the street. I got some icing to go on some graham crackers so the kids might eat them. The pack of graham crackers I bought was huge. However, as often happens, the kids didn't like them. So I decided to make little graham cookies with icing. I hate wasting food. Once I was home I made some of the little sandwich cookies and waited for the kids to get home from school and try them. Once they were home I was so excited to show them what I'd done. Millie loved them, and Jack was polite, saying, 'Thank you for making these, but I don't like them.' I still can't understand how he came from me and doesn't like every type of sugar. It's a mystery!

Sunday night we went to Jack's rugby practice. I just sat inside the club, because it was unseasonably chilly, and waited for the kids to finish. I was wiped out when we got home. I had ordered food to go from the club for the kids. They showered, ate and then headed to bed. 

Monday I woke up, having slept in my own bed for the first time in over a week. Sadly, I hadn't had good rest. Laying flat when you've had any kind of stomach surgery is really difficult. Stuart had the same issue when he had his hernia surgery. I suppose time will heal. 

I really just laid around all day. Once Stuart and the kids were home and I had been frustrated by Jack's homework, I headed to the hospital to get my stitches out. I no longer have to make an appointment. I now just walk to his office and wait. It has to do with paying a co-pay. Apparently if I check in at the reception desk they will make me pay a co-pay, which he insists was included in the price of the surgery, which is fine by me. His bedside manner is horrible and getting the stitches out was not pleasant. But they are out now and that's just one step closer to healing. 

I got home in time for Stuart to go to rugby. He didn't train, but it was February 1st and since he drank no beer in the month of January he decided he needed to have his first beer of the year. He's so funny!  

The kids were in bed shortly after Stuart left for the club, and I was asleep on the sofa not long after that. 

I got up and had a shower on Tuesday morning. I was determined that was the day I was finished being down. I washed the blankets and sheet on the sofa, put the cushions back where they belonged, help make the kids' lunches.....and I was exhausted. I still spent the day on the sofa, but didn't feel as guilty because at least it no longer looked like a bed. 

Rugby training on Tuesday evening was a little more tolerable for me. It wasn't quite as cold as it had been on Sunday, and I sat outside and chatted with some other moms. Millie actually got to play with the youngest team. The coach for that team is one of the guys who drives the kids to school and he just loves Millie. She enjoys the run around which is great. 

Wednesday morning I decided I would go to the grocery store and do our big weekly shopping. Prior to that I went to see the dietician. I was supposed to see her the night I got my stitches out, but she wasn't at the hospital. She was very informative and very nice. She just told me what I was doing so far was right and then she gave me information of what to do from this point forward. I am well on my way to a healthier me. 

After I left the hospital I headed to the ADEC main office to see if I could get my new health card that I was supposed to receive January 1. Each January this happens and each year no one does anything to change it. Welcome to the UAE. They didn't have my card, but printed it while I waited. It was relatively painless, but a pain in the butt all the same. 

I then pressed on to the grocery store. I walked around and gathered food for about 30 minutes, then I had to go and check out even though I didn't get everything I needed. I was wearing out. Once I was home and unpacked, Cathy came around for a chat. She was off from school because she was having some feet problems. She just loves across the street so she popped over. 

Once the kids were home and Jack had finished his homework as well as practiced his piano, we were off for piano lessons. He hasn't really been practicing like I think he should, but his teacher seems to be pleased with his progress so who am I to criticize? Stuart had a meeting after school so Millie had to go with Jack and me to piano lessons. Joy! She was actually pretty quiet so there was no problem there. 

Once we were home, the kids got clean and we waited for Daddy to get home with KFC, nutrition at its finest. Once the kids had eaten they watched a bit of television and then headed to bed. Stuart was off to rugby and I was perched up on the sofa for the evening. I do kind of love my Mondays and Wednesdays where I can watch whatever I want on the tellie. It's brainless activity for me. 

On Thursday Stuart was home from school just before 11 am and we headed to put Jack and Millie on a waiting list at the two top schools in Al Ain. Although they are twice as expensive as what we pay now, it's time. Where they go now, Sunflower School, has been great. However, this year there has been a change in administration and the family feel it used to have doesn't really exist any more. It's just changed too much for us. 

We were impressed by both schools. However, one stood at as more our style than the other one. Both follow the British curriculum, but one of the schools is just a bit too uppity for us. We are not the type of people who need to be seen as the 'best' because we send our kids to the most elite school in town. Both schools provide a quality education, with one being a bit more down to earth, and more our speed. However, we registered the kids in both schools and will see what happens. 

We also inquired about positions at both schools. We are going to send our resumes in and see what happens. We speculate the salaries would not make up for the two free school fees we would get, but we shall see. 

Once the kids were home we headed to the industrial district to pick up the Land Rover. Stuart has had it in the shop for about two weeks now. He had a ton of work done on it and it cost him about $600. Everything really is cheap over here. It's working like new and ready to head back out to the desert. Hopefully we will get a few more runs in before it gets too hot. 

Stuart went to a rugby party. The kids and I sat and looked at pictures on the computer. 

Friday morning we got up and headed to Abu Dhabi to see Gina. 

We stayed at Rania's for almost 6 hours. 

I showered the kids before we left Rania's house and that way when Millie fell asleep it wasn't a big deal. In fact, that's my favorite thing. 

Once home and the kids were in bed, we sat down for an episode of X Files. We have one more season and then we can start the new episodes that just came out. It doesn't take much to excite us. 

Saturday we decided we would go to Brighton College's Spring Fayre. This is one of the schools we are considering for the kids next year. It provides the finest education in this city, but it is super pricey. So our options are to either get a job at the school in order to get two free school fees or to get some sort of scholarship. We sent our resumes to the lady in admissions and are hoping for some result. Stay tuned. 

The Fayre was a type of school carnival. The kids enjoyed seeing the school and jumping on the trampoline. They ate lunch there and then we headed to Scott and Clare's for a bit. 

Once we were home we just watched some television and chilled out. The kids were in bed early and I fell asleep on the sofa as we were watching the Scotland/England rugby match. I finally staggered up to bed for a decent night's rest before returning to work the next day. 

The two weeks has been nice but I'm bored and ready to out and about now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment