Sunday, January 10, 2016

Students were back at school, well, half of them.

We had quite a few girls at school on Sunday, but very low numbers on our boys' side. I'm not sure at what stage this trend will stop, but I will say that the teachers of our boys like the low numbers so they can ease into the second term. Routines can be solidified with the few starters and then hopefully carry over to the class once everyone is there. 

Jack woke up complaining about his foot. He had hurt his foot at the birthday party on Saturday so when he came home from school he thought he needed ice on it. His school nurse had told him that ice would help so he followed her directions. Well, naturally since he needed ice, the princess must have hurt her leg as well and would also need ice. His ice pack stayed right on the hurt spot, whereas hers moved around according to whether she needed to reach her snack or ride her scooter. 
Both patients were in pain, clearly. He's eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and she's enjoying cartoons. 

Sunday night we went to the rugby club.  I swam while Jack was practicing and Millie was playing on the pitch. At the end of the practice Jack came running up to me to ask me if he could stay with Stuart for his committee meeting. I asked him what Daddy said. He told me, 'Daddy told me to ask you.'  Typically on a school night we don't let Jack stay at the club later than his practice, but it seemed Stuart didn't mind so I said he could stay. He handed me his boots as Stuart was coming up the stairs. I asked Stuart if he could take the boots. Then Jack tried to give me his water bottle as Stuart was walking into his meeting. I told him to give the bottle to Daddy. It made sense to me since he was staying with Stuart. 

Millie and I went home. I made her dinner and she had a bath. We then read a book and I was just finishing up when I heard the door open. It was around 7:30 pm. I waited for Jack and Stuart to come up the stairs. When Stuart came up and was in Millie's room to kiss her goodnight, I asked him if he would warm up Jack's food that was on the counter. Jack was being especially quiet downstairs, probably because he knew I was trying to put Millie to bed. 

Start said he would warm up the food. He then said, 'Is Jack downstairs?' I said, 'I assume so.' Then the puzzled look came over my face. Stuart said, 'I didn't even see him down there. I must have walked past him.' I responded with total panic. 'What do you mean you didn't see him? Didn't you bring him home with you from the club?' Stuart and I had the exact same expression on our faces, I believe. Stuart said, 'I was supposed to bring him home? I didn't even know you left him with me!'  I hadn't spoken to Stuart after giving Jack permission, thus the mistake. We didn't talk about anything at the moment because Stuart was too busy rushing back to the club to retrieve the boy. Parents of the year!

Once Jack was home he said, 'Mama, it's all my fault. I should have said something to Daddy.' I assured him it was just a miscommunication and that I should have said something to Daddy. I asked Jack if he was scared. He looked at me and said, 'Why would I have been scared?' I said, 'I thought you might be because Daddy left you at the club.'  He looked at Stuart and said, 'Did you really leave me at the club? And come home? Without me? Ha!'  Clearly he hadn't even known we were gone. No counseling needed for this mishap. 

Monday was a busier day with a few more students. By the end of the week we knew we would be in full force again. Stuart had rugby practice Monday and the kids and I had an early evening. 

Tuesday I came home from school to discover that Millie had not made the best decisions at school. It seems she went in from the playground without asking anyone, and they couldn't locate her. She is her mother's daughter.  We stayed home from rugby because of her behavior. She fell asleep on the sofa just after 6 pm. 

After school on Wednesday I took Jack to his new piano teacher's house. She was so sweet and SUPER cheap. She really started challenging him from the beginning of the lesson. When we got in the car after the lesson he said, 'She was  really nice, Mama.'  We may have hit the jackpot with the new teacher. 

After his lesson we headed to the mall to get a birthday gift for his friend, Kennedy, who was having a sleepover birthday party on Thursday. We bought him a nerf gun, some Nerf bullets, and a stuffed mini chewbacca from Star Wars. Naturally Jack needed one as well. And since Jack got a gift we needed to buy Millie something as well. She got glitter bracelets. 

Thursday after school we went grocery shopping. We usually don't go on a Thursday, which I don't know why. Getting it out of the way for the weekend is great!

Once we got home the kids played outside and then it was time for Jack to go to his sleepover. Millie and I walked him down to Kennedy's house. I chatted with Rayna, Kennedy's mom, for a bit and then when I was leaving I yelled upstairs to let Jack know I was leaving. He just yelled back down to me, 'Bye'. That's it? Really? When I made him come to the top of the stairs to give me eye contact, I opened my arms as if to signal the need for a hug. He snarled at me and said, 'No!' He giggled as he went back to playing. Then I heard him say, 'Love you!'  It's happening and I don't like it!

Jack walked in the house on Friday morning to bring his stuff home. Then he disappeared again until around 1 pm. Once he was home in the afternoon he wanted to know what we were going to do for the evening. He was so exhausted that there was no way I was going to venture out with him for the evening. 

Stuart and Millie washed cars Friday morning. 
Stuart left just after 2 pm for the 1st team match in Dubai. The kids and I just sat around the house, played outside, and watched movies. After they had dinner, I bathed Millie, and Jack showered. They came downstairs, had some pears and then watched television while I took a shower. When I came downstairs just before 8 pm I found Jack covered up on the sofa, but still awake. Meanwhile, Millie was out like a light. I carried her up to her bed. By the time I got back downstairs Jack had turned the tv off and was heading upstairs. His sleepover really did a number on him. 

Around 9 pm I got a message from Stuart that said he had played the entire match and won 'man of the match'. In honor of the win he is to chug a beer, which is one of his favorite things to do. However, because he is on a health kick, he has given up beer for the month of January. So he had Scott chug his beer for him. What? So proud of his commitment. We've both realized that the kids need us to be in good health and we will need to lose weight in order for our health to improve. His commitment is real and I am so proud of him. I was in bed when Stuart got home but managed to tell him how proud I was of him. 

We lazed around on Saturday, or at least I did. We ended up booking the rest of our flights, rental cars, and hotels for the summer. We are going to be busy. 6 flights, 3 rental cars and a couple of hotel stays should about do us in, but we will have a good time with all our travels, seeing family and friends. 

Saturday evening Cathy came over for a curry meal. She is such a special friend and we always love our times with her. 

Another great week in the UAE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment