Sunday, October 22, 2017

Basketball has finally entered our lives in the UAEtt

Sunday work was good. Things are  getting much more organized. I still am not doing what I should be, according to my job description, but I getting there. The canteen was better and teachers were where they needed to be. 


I picked up the kids from school. Once we were home, I attempted to do homework with Millie, which I loathe! She’s a bit difficult when it comes to someone trying to tell her what to do. She seems to know it all already. 


Jack got his new headphones for his PS4 and spent some well deserved time using them. The idea is he can communicate with his buddies who are playing the same game as he is at the same time. He had worked hard on his homework, on his own, so I let him spend some time on his PS4. 



We went to the club and I rode the exercise bike at the gym. I hate it but I must do it. It gives me time to finish my blog and kills two birds with one stone. We were home, ate and in for the night. 


Monday school was just another day. Jack had a basketball tournament, but they didn’t even score. However, I did quickly realize why he was asked to play. He seems to have a natural ability in any sport he plays. It’s crazy how he knows not to crowd other players and he has an awareness of the court. He’s fun to watch. However, he was a bit sad and down that they didn’t even score. We reminded him that he had never even played basketball before, but that didn’t help much. 





Tuesday I spent most of my school day trying to get organized. It seems that just as I get started with a task my principal calls and wants me to come to her office, but I’m never really sure why she wants me in there. I think for now I am moral support, which I totally get.


After school we headed to rugby. After practice we stayed for Keith’s birthday party. We stayed a bit later than normal, but once we were home the kids got themselves ready for bed rather quickly and headed to bed. 







Wednesday at school we had a visit from the Ministry of Education which put everyone a bit on edge. The Ministry is taking over our current school system. They have visited many schools so far this year just to get a feel for what the Abu Dhabi schools are doing. 


After school I had a doctor’s appointment so I did a bit of shopping beforehand as I got out of school earlier than expected. I was in search of some winter clothes. I’ve decided to go with Gina to Vienna, Austria, in December, for the Christmas markets and I’m going to freeze. I can’t remember the last time I was in really cold weather. It’s been at least 5 years. Needless to say, I have no reason for real winter clothes. I am going to attempt to layer as much as possible, mainly because I don’t want to buy things I will never wear again. 


Once my doctor appointment was over, I went home and the kids had been showered, done their homework, and were ready to go for sushi. It’s a special treat for us and since Stuart didn’t have to play in a rugby match on Friday, he skippped training. 


Thursday I delivered more books to classrooms and got some cleaners fired. In my 4 years here I have never had such lazy cleaners as I have worked with this year. And a few of them have attitudes and can’t be found most of the time. Add to this information the fact that they don’t speak English or Arabic. It can be challenging. 


Thursday evening, Mandy and Cathy came for dinner. Jack went to a sleepover and Millie was in bed by 6 pm. It was a very relaxing evening with friends. 


Friday morning I went to pick Jack up from Adam’s and took him to his rugby match. It was bitter sweet because his team was dismantled because there were not enough players to sustain the team for the rest of the season. After the match, although Jack played really well, he was very sad and told me he didn’t want to go with Ben for the afternoon. In the meantime I was talked into running the Halloween party at the club that would take place on the 26th of October. My brain started rolling. 







In the end, Jack went with Ben and then decided he didn’t want to be at the pool. He decided he wanted to be with me. He’s a mama’s boy for sure. I went to pick him up from the Mercure Hotel and dropped Millie off at her sleepover. We then went back to Scott and Clare’s for Scott’s birthday celebration. 




The boy was exhausted. 


I was shocked, but Millie stayed the entire night at her sleepover. She had a wonderful time. She insisted she stayed up all night, but Ciera’s Mom messaged me at 10 pm and told me that Millie was the only one asleep. Ha!



Saturday morning I got up and cleaned up some ants in the maids room. It was disgusting. Stuart took Jack and the dogs to the dessert, then went to pick up Millie from Ciera’s. Once she was home, she slept on the sofa for 3 hours. We all lounged around most of the day. Jack and Millie attempted to go to the Karnik house around noon, but Millie came back crying so therefore Jack was asked to come home as well. Shame!


Around 4 pm we headed to Scott and Clare’s for our regular Saturday evening dinner. We didn’t stay long. It was back home and to bed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment