Sunday, October 1, 2017

Golf anyone?

Once I dropped the kids off at school, I headed to my old school to collect supplies. I had several conversations with my previous principal, a westerner, and she was keen to help us out. Sadly, she had a change of heart once I was out there collecting supplies. So that was a totally wasted trip. It was very frustrating. I was terribly late to school and had nothing to show for it. 


I got to school just after 9:30 am and hit the ground running. Things were getting more and more tense with certain staff members. There had been tension brewing for well over a week. It seems the line of protocol was curvier every day. It was an awkward and uncomfortable situation. I just wanted that part of our work environment to go away. Being in a foreign country where things are not as you are used to be is bad enough without added stress from people who should really step back and remember their role in the school. Not everyone can be the boss. 


I left school to go to the bank and found out they wouldn't give me a loan on a used car for three years. It seems that Americans are a huge flight risk. Too many have borrowed money and skipped the country. It really makes it difficult for those of us who want to be here and do the right thing. So now I will have to figure out how to get a car and break the news to Gemma and Fechin that we are not buying their car. 


I got home and got the report that the kids had been horrible on the way home from school. So they had no PS4 and no television. They were getting ready for rugby when Millie lost her wad and ended up staying with me and going to bed early. Getting back into the swing of things seems to be more difficult than I thought it would be. While I was bummed not to go to the club, it gave me a chance to fix our school time table........AGAIN! When Stuart and Jack returned from rugby, Jack showered and had a pbj, then he was off to bed. Stuart made some dinner and after I ate I fell asleep on the sofa. It was only Sunday and I was already sick of the week. 


Monday at work was a miracle. The person creating the stress, resigned. It's a long story and may be incriminating so let's just say it was a good thing, but was ugly getting to the final result. Although she resigned via email, I knew it wasn't over. 


Monday after school we went to the club for Tua's birthday party. The kids played games, ate pizza and had cake. My principal showed up and brought her son to join he rugby team. She said he really loved it and would start practicing every Monday and Wednesday. 


Tuesday I went to school and guess who was there? Yep, Stressful Sally. I can only assume she was told to come back and stop throwing fits. It was awkward to say the least. She claims she wanted to come back and finish her assessments for the school. I believe they told her to report to work until they could find a place to transfer her. Time will tell what actually happens to her. Stay tuned. 


I picked up Claire and Millie from school. Jack went to swim club. So just about the time I got home with the girls, we had to turn around and pick up Jack.  


On Tuesday, on the way home from school, Jack lost a tooth. He's been talking about there not being a Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus recently, which makes me a bit sad, but I knew he was getting close to figuring things out. Well, I almost brought him to the realization when the Tooth Fairy only remembered to get the tooth on Wednesday morning, about 20 minutes before he woke up. Thank goodness I pulled it off. Little boy can be a little boy for a bit longer. 

We took Stuart to the Ford dealership to pick up a curtesy car because his truck was still being repaired. We then traveled on to rugby.   When I got home, I worked on the schedule for duties for my school. Since the person who was supposed to do that seemed 'unavailable' to us anymore, it became my job. My eyes went all googley after about 2 hours so I stopped for the evening. 


School on Wednesday was as usual, hectic. The office drama was still there, but the person in question just kept to herself and only spoke to people when it was absolutely necessary. 


I went to a meeting from the assessment team for the district.  It seems our merger with the Ministry of Education is a bit more challenging than we had all anticipated. We were asked to implement a new computer based program, which would be ideal if we all had computer labs and every child had an electronic device. Although the country, as a whole, is very wealthy, there are still the 'have nots'. Some of us became a bit discouraged by this particular meeting. But we will get it done. That's what teachers do!


I went back to school after my district meeting. We had a staff meeting where the attendance was not that great. My principal is getting frustrated at some of the apathetic behaviors. I have told her that once we have a local senior leader, the tide will turn. Truth!


I took the kids to the golf course for free lessons that they had been offering all week. They loved it. It was hot, but they got a little bit of personal attention from the local pro and they were stoked. Of course Jack stayed more focused than Millie, but they both enjoyed it. 


We came home and everyone showered. We then went to celebrate Claire's birthday by going to sushi night at the golf course. Mandy, Cathy, Claire, the kids and myself had a wonderful meal. But because Stuart didn't come with us we actually had to pay full price. That sucked! Ha!


Thursday we all kind of muddled through. The cover plan was awful. We had 3 English teachers out and several local teachers out. When this happens, we have to cover classes with people who don't teach 24 periods a week. Naturally I am the least popular person at school! Many complain, but most just get on with it. My principal spent the morning at a school that is fully kitted out but no children live in the houses in the neighborhood. So that school has been sitting pretty while we are waiting for chairs and tables. Oops! She was told we could have some of their furniture, so that made us happy. 


I was supposed to be at a meeting at 11 am with other Heads if Faculty to figure out the best course of action for the new Pacing Guides that were introduced by the organization we are merging with. Since Tiffany wasn't back until about noon, I was late to my meeting. Not everyone could make it anyway, so it ended up being a little bit of a catch-up session. 


I found out at the end of the meeting that I got a speeding ticket right in front of the school. It seems the speed limit there had been lowered since last I was around there. Super! I love wasting money on speeding fines. Ugh! 


I picked the kids up from school, took them home to change their clothes, and then took them golfing. Stuart went with us this time. We left a bit early because Jack was going for a sleepover as was Millie and Stuart and I were to go to a fund raiser Foot Golf event. When we arrived home, Ben's mum was waiting for Jack. He grabbed his bag and they headed to Bounce for an hour. Millie showered and we dropped her at Cathy's for the evening.  We suspected she wouldn't stay the entire night, but she was going to give it a try. 


We then went to the golf club to meet up with Gemma and Fechin. We were to meet them at 5:30 pm, but as we have come to know, Gemma and Fechin are late to EVERYTHING! So they arrived around 6:30 pm and we headed out for our Foot Golf tee time, which was 7 pm. What a blast we had. The pictures tell the entire story!


We did end up picking Millie up around 10 pm. She was asleep, but Cathy had said she was asking if we were coming to get her. She told Cathy, 'Maybe I can try again tomorrow night. You know it's only the second time I have tried to have a sleepover.'  Bless her little heart!


I got up Friday and Skyped Grammie and Pop. We then went to the grocery store. When we returned we just lazed around the house. It was really nice. We finally headed to the rugby club around 3 and sat and had some alone time. I spoke to a few people and then Jack showed up. He looked wiped out from his sleepover and full day at the Mecure Hotel, where they have a fabulous pool with water slides. I could only believe he would be cranky in a matter of minutes. 

These are often seen around town. 

We left the club after the match. Stuart played the second half of the match, which was for the first team, which he had intended to not play with them this season. I suppose a guy can change his mind. 


The kids were exhausted and really didn't put up much of a fight to go to bed. They were up before I was on Saturday morning. Once breakfast was over and teeth were cleaned, we headed to look for a new car. I was informed that getting a loan for a new car was much easier because if I skipped town before the loan was paid at least they would get the car back. They clearly don't know me. I wouldn't know how to 'skip town'. At any rate, we looked at a Mini Cooper, which was the dream, and then settled at Ford. Ha! So as long as the loan goes through, we will have a new Ford Escape in a week or so. Stay tuned......yet again. 


Once the brutal shopping was over, we went to Scott and Clare's for a late lunch. It was good to really finally reconnect with them. Everyone has been so crazy with the beginning of school stuff that getting together with friends has been more challenging than normal. 


After we ate, Clare and I decided to go to the Karama (fake, knock off handbags, sunglasses, and jewelry) of Al Ain. We had heard about it and had been to the Karama in Dubai, but had never been to the one in Al Ain. Because it is illegal, it is difficult to find. We had to ask around and even people we felt knew what we were talking about wouldn't give up the ghost. We finally walked into a shop and a brace Soul took us to a different location, in a basement, where the goods were stashed. It was awesome and I felt like a criminal. I ended up getting a pair of Roberto Cavalli sunglasses and a pair of black leather sandals, no particular brand. We got much better deals in Al Ain than we had in Dubai. Clare got two Louis Vuitton bags for the equivalent of $81. A steal for sure! 


We got back to Scott and Clare's and then took our two home for showers, a snack and bed. I had a bag of popcorn for dinner. It's not the most nutritious food in the world, but it filled the hump. 


Another week in the books! 

No comments:

Post a Comment