Sunday, March 24, 2019

Interview.....and?

Sunday school was fine. The wind was crazy as were the pupils. Sand was everywhere. My interview was good.  I felt confident in my presentation and the answers I gave to the questions. Now it’s a matter of whether I am the fit for the position. 

Sunday after school we just hung around the house. Since Stuart and I decided to do a cleanse, we were about to gnaw our hands off. I was not made for sacrifice. We went to bed early to avoid having to be hungry. 

Monday I covered for a teacher who had covered for me the previous day while I had my interview. I was informed around noon that I didn’t get the job. I was disappointed, but I always know things work out the way they are supposed to. There will be other leadership opportunities come along. 

We went to pick up my car after school and then were back home. When I picked the car up they told me my battery was dead so they had to replace it. He said, ‘We charged it to the other guy’s insurance.’  Have I ever said this phrase, ‘Only in the UAE!’?  Where else on earth could they get away with such a shadey act? 

Stuart had a meeting at the club and I stayed home, fed the kids, got them showered and watched television. I was starving! Once Stuart was home, again, we went to bed to avoid the kitchen. 

I got up and was able to have a protein shake on Tuesday morning. Nothing ever tasted so good. I got to school and got ready for our trip to the fire station. We have been studying the Great Fire of London and today was the day we were taking our ‘houses’ and burning them up. Yahoo!

I even got to shoot the fire hose. 

After school we had prize giving for the Year 1 and 2 pupils. This is where they are awarded certificates for earning 25 or 50 house points (its a behavioral system). Millie got her Silver (50 points) certificate. Once that was finished I took Millie to dance class. Then I headed home to get ready for the candlelight service for the victims of the shooting at the mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand. I was asked to be the MC for the service, which was an honor. Our Kiwi friends are so heartbroken by this, as are we. When will the hatred of those who do not think as you do ever stop? I think we all have our own answer for this question. The ceremony was beautiful and full of love. 

I am the House Mistress for Pre-Prep (Years 1 and 2) Ryle house, so I was able to be on stage when Millie received her Silver certificate. 

Millie went to dance right after the prize giving. Stuart picked her up from dance and took the kids to McDonalds for dinner. He then came home and put them to bed. I had been asked to be the MC at a candlelight vigil for the Muslims who were killed in Christchurch, New Zealand the previous Friday. We have a huge community of Kiwis here, sothey wanted to do something to show their support to our Muslim community. The ceremony was beautiful. I got home just after 8 pm. We were going to all go to the service, but decided it would be too late of a night for Millie. That girl STILL needs a solid 11 hours of sleep in order to function properly. The service was well done and a wonderful gesture. 

The New Zealand expat community sang How Great Thou Art in Maori. It was breath taking. 

Once I was home, Stuart and I ate our first meal on this cleanse. 

Brown rice and beans never tasted so good. We were in bed by 10 pm as I was hoping to get up and walk with Lara on Wednesday morning. It had been ages and it was time to get my butt out there and get in gear again. 

I actually did get up on Wednesday morning and walk. We took the dogs, and it was clear by the end of our journey we had all had a bit of a break. 

We were off to school. The day went quickly. I had an email from a tutor that kind of set me off. But, since this child is considered a VIP, the tutor gets my lending ear. One of the things we put up with here in the UAE. 

After school it was Jack’s prize giving. It was longner than the previous day. He received the Bronze and Silver awards. He had been skipped over when he received his Bronze in December, so they made up for it at this ceremony.

Bronze!

Silver!

Wednesday evening was another boring evening. I didn’t realize how much social activity you avoid when you can’t eat. Stinks. Stuart made chicken and sweet potatoes, which were delightful. The kids lazed around as now that we are almost in our last week of school before spring break, thereisnt any homework. 

Thursday my class was to give the assembly. It’s basically a small play presented by your class in front of their other Year 2 classes as well as the Year 1 classes. The program is to teach some sort of lesson and be tied into our core values at Brighton College. My class assembly started with some students having a problem. They didn’t know how to do their math homework. Along came Wonder Woman and Superman, but they couldn’t help. Then the narrators explained what a hero was. And it was decided that we could all be a hero. Then two other children came along and helped the ones who were stumped. At the end the entire class sang ‘Hero’ by Mariah Carey. It was a tear jerker. Oh, did I mention that about 30 minutes before the assembly started, it was announced that the entire school would be in the theatre to watch? Crazy! I am the only one who has had their assembly seen by the entire school this year. Fortunately, they did a brilliant job. I was so proud of them. My little guy who refused to be in our Year 2 production, actually said his line from behind the curtain, on a microphone. It was brilliant. I was so proud of them. The rest of the day I was on cloud 9 because of how well they did. 

This picture was taken when we were coming back from setting up the theatre for my assembly. I always like to capture these rare moments where they aren’t beating each other up. 

Once the day was over, we rushed home and headed to the rugby club for the Spring Festival. This is one of the 4 big events we put on at the club each year. Of course, because I had done it the previous year, it was already set to go. My fabulous volunteers showed up, ready to help out. Everyone seemed to enjoy the evening. There were well over 100 children there and everyone received treats when they hunted the Easter eggs. 

Spring table clothes were spread around on some of the table. Now all we needed were the people 

We did the egg hunt on a sectioned off area of Pitch 1. This was the last group we accommodated, ages 11+. We still have some 13 and 14 year olds who are babies at heart. It’s sweet! This community allows for our children to remain innocent for a very long time. It’s one of the appealing things of being an expat. 

By the time the egg hunts were finished and the prize drawing had been done, I was beyond ready to go home. We left around 8 pm. I was exhausted. Why does it seem that the week or so before a school holiday everything gears up and we are super busy? 

Friday morning, the kids and I were picked up by Cathy and taken to church. Then we headed to the mall to get a birthday gift for Millie’s friend, Amara. She just lives around the corner from us. Cathy came back to our house so we could watch A Star Is Born. She hadn’t seen it yet. 

Once Stuart headed to Dubai to watch the men’s conference team play in their semi-final, and we had delivered Millie to her birthday party, Cathy and I started the movie. It dawned on me that the movie wouldn’t be over by the time I was due to pick Millie up from Amara’s. So I cheekily asked Jack if he would go and collect her at 4 pm. And wouldn’t you know it, he actually went to get her. 

Needless to say, the film was sad and Cathy and I were both distraught at the end. We ended up having to watch a stupid comedy to get us out of our funk. 

Once Stuart was home, we fed the kids, he made chicken burrito bowls again, which was the same meal we had on Tuesday evening.  Cathy stayed and ate with us. We watched television for a few hours and then she went home. I fell asleep on the sofa after I had a shower, which everyone knows is my favorite thing to do. 

Saturday morning we went to the mailbox and then to the supermarket. Remember how they tell you not to go to the store when you are hungry? Too right! We did end up getting mostly things for the kids’ lunches and then other essentials, but EVERYTHING looked delicious. It was a bit sad! 

Once we were home Stuart watched television and I had a nap. Little food and no coffee this week has left me a bit exhausted. I also think as the end of the term draws near, I realize how tired I am. I can’t wait for spring break. We don’t have a ton of plans, which will be nice. The kids and I have two weeks off, but Stuart only has one week off. 

We headed to Dubai around 2:30 pm. Just the kids had lessons this week. Jack passed to Level 3, but Millie is still on Level 1. However, the kids and Stuart will go on the slopes in a couple of weeks and practice while I take my Beginner lesson. Ha! 

Stuart and I had a Skinnylicious meal at Cheesecake Factory while the kids had their lessons. When they were finished we supported the food court and they ate on the way home. Millie fell asleep, as did Jack. Jack is at the age that he will wake up when we get home, but Millie is not quite there and it would have been way more torture to wake her up for a shower than it was to just throw her into bed once we were home. Jack showered, had a glass of milk and then hit the hay. I showered and went downstairs to watch some television. I’m not sure how much I watched, actually. One week until spring break! Yahoo!





No comments:

Post a Comment