Sunday, March 10, 2019

World Book Week! Why must we dress up?

As suspected, Millie woke up a bit on the cranky side. She just is not a late night girl. Unfortunately, the evening times are all that is offered on a Saturday. She managed, but then after school she and I passed on rugby training. 

School brought forth another computer program for me to learn. I was so frustrated that I snapped a bit at my team leader and then had to go and make nice. Ugh! I hate when I do that. 

My flights were booked, but one flight is not the same as Stuart’s and the kids. So it seems I will be flying back from Milan to London on my own. After school the kids went out to play with silly string. I had two random cans sitting on the microwave and Sunday seemed to be the best day for it. 

Jack was off to training and Millie and I just chilled in front of the television. She definitely needed an early night, and I didn’t mind staying in either. 

Monday was another day at school and then a rugby club committee meeting around 5:30 pm. Stuart stayed for training, but I brought the kids home and we had a snack before bed. We had fed them before going to the club just to get that out of the way.

Tuesday Jack had swim squad, which he whined about a bit. Since this week at school was World Book Week, it meant we had guest readers throughout the week. Mr. Clarke and myself, being authors, of course spoke to the Year 2 children about the process of writing a book. It was a great way to spend an hour of our day. 

Millie didn’t have dance again this week because the dance teacher had parent’s evening at school. So we all went to the club for rugby practice. We came back for pancakes as it was pancake day. Cathy, Sean and Carly came over for pancakes as well. The kids started talking about what they wanted to give up for lent. We have never really formally done this as a family, but Alice and Tommy are Irish Catholics and we’re talking about it at school. So, Millie decided she would give up electronics and Jack decided he would give up milk. I applaud their thoughts for sure. 

Wednesday was school as usual. Jack had a soccer match after school. It was the Year 6 playing against the Year 7. Even though Jack is only in Year 5, he is often asked to join the Year 6 team for soccer matches. 

Wednesday evening Cathy came over to tell me about her interview at Brighton College that day. She seemed pretty encouraged and was hopeful she would be offered a job. As you would guess, by Wednesday, right after school, neither kids could keep their commitment to what they were giving up for lent. Jack messaged me and said ‘Mom, I can’t do it. It’s so hard to think I won’t be able to have milk for 40 days. Please can I drink milk?’  I just chuckled and replied, ‘Of course you can!’ And Millie sent a voice mail sounding terribly desperate, ‘Mummy, I have to give in. The tv is on now. I’m so sorry. I can’t help it!’ Not terribly disciplined to these particular commitments, I’m afraid. 

Thursday pre prep brought breakfast to school. So of course  the waffle station was on order again.  We all dressed up as our book characters Thursday as well. Stuart came as himself as did the kids. Stuart came in to read to both Millie’s and Jack’s classes. They were thrilled. 

Little Miss Sunshine and Mr Bump. 

Before the morning assembly, I popped over to the senior school to meet with the Head of the Senior School. There is an internal posting of an Assistant Head of Academics that I was inquiring about. After meeting with him, I decided I would apply for it. I have nothing to lose. 

After school we got home and Stuart made dinner. Cathy and Sean came over and we had a good chat for a few hours. Millie played outside with the dogs. She does love her doggies. 

Friday morning I picked Cathy up and we went to church. Stuart had his last match of the season which took him to Dubai. Once we were home from church it was time for our girl’s brunch. We went to McGettigan’s. The food was okay and there was a band that was pretty decent as well. We got back to our house around 7 pm, and the men came over (Brian, Sean, And Stuart). It was a good, but late night. 

Saturday I got up and took my car to have it repaired, only to discover the rental car had been taken to Abu Dhabi. Sometimes the communication in this place is unreal, and appalling. I spent the rest of the morning lounging around. We went to the grocery store for the week’s provisions and then headed to Dubai around 3 pm for the weekly ski/snowboard lesson. Stuart and I ate dinner at Cheesecake Factory while the kids had their lessons. We ended up grabbing McDonalds again for the way home. Once we were home, the kids showered and went to bed. I showered, but stayed up to finish the latest episode of The Bachelor. I could tell I was getting sick as my throat was getting very raw. We shall see what this next week holds for me. 

Oh, by the way, we saw a cow in a truck. We have never seen a cow in this country. 




No comments:

Post a Comment