Sunday, March 31, 2019

Last week of term

When I got up Sunday morning, it hit me that this cleanse was only for two more days? Did I really not cheat the entire time? Wow! Impressive!

We got to school and I tried to sort out what I was doing for the day. It dawned on me that I had taught the last social studies lesson of the term the previous week. So it looked as if a little iPad fun was in order for that group. 

On the way to Dubai the previous day, I had called my bariatric doctor to make an appointment to see him. I have had dull stomach pains on and off since I had the surgery three years ago. I was under the impression that everyone had these pains, especially after they ate. It turns out that’s not the case. My friend Kendra, who had it done about 8 months after I did, was taking to me a few weeks ago and telling me she had the same pain. She said she had it checked out and it’s a hernia which can often happen to bariatric patients. 

So Sunday after my science committee meeting at school, I headed to see Dr. Ali Fardoun. When I had messaged him asking whether I should come and see him as I suspected I might have a hernia, his response via voice message was, ‘You do not know if you have a hernia! You will need to come to my clinic tomorrow between 5 and 9 to see me for an X-ray.’ So, that’s what I did. 

I got there early and just waited around. When I did get in to see him he ordered some blood work which I had immediately and then ordered an ultrasound to see what was going on inside of me. I went to book that, as I had to be fasting for it. I wanted to get it done on Monday morning just so I could get everything settled. After some convincing, I got an appointment and was told I could come in at 9 am and maybe they could slip me in, but I had a set appointment at 10:30 am. I messaged my team leader, Joan and then my Deputy Head who does cover teachers. 

Once I was home, Stuart was making pizza with the kids and fixing our dinner. The cleanse was nearly over. The kids made their own cheese pizza and Nutella calzone. Yummy!

Once the kids were in bed and my dinner was consumed, I snuggled down for my nightly nap. 

Monday morning the kids finished the calzone. I think Millie had more on her face than in her belly. 

That girl loves her Nutella. 

We headed to school so I could sort some activities out for my class to work on in case I wasn’t able to slide into a free slot for my ultrasound. Once my students left for their first lesson I headed to the hospital to wait. When I handed them my paper that had the specific directions on it for my ultrasound, they acted as if I would be third in line. I certainly hoped that was the case. 

And, it was the case. I went in, had the ultrasound, came out, met with the doctor who told me I basically just had heartburn in my belly, and sent me on my merry way with some medications. Done! I was back at school before anyone missed me. I also didn’t have to have anyone cover my class, which was a bonus. 

Monday after school we had a committee meeting. We were to have one in April, but since spring break was the first two weeks of April it would make our meeting too late in the month. We talked about a lot of nothing, but I was able to get the money I needed for the ball and we are still keeping our fingers crossed that people will buy tickets. It seems that everyone is tightening their purse strings in the last year. Things are not as cheap here as they used to be, and people are started to spend less. We shall see what comes of the ball. 

Tuesday and Wednesday after school we had parent conferences. I really didn’t have that many sign up to meet with me, but we had to stay until 5:30 pm anyway. Tuesday was better attended than Wednesday. 

Stuart picked the kids up after school both afternoons. On Tuesday he met with the kids’ teachers. As we suspected, Miss Millie is a bit below grade level in reading. She doesn’t read enough. I blame her mother. And Jack was doing well in all subjects, but he goofs off in class. So shocking! Not! He talks too much, Stuart was told. Really? Where on earth would that come from? 

Tuesday evening, when I was home from conferences, and Jack, Stuart and Millie were home from Millie’s  dance demonstration that she has at the end of each term, we had fish tacos and they were spectacular. Stuart made them from scratch. He had never fried fish, but he can usually make anything he wants to make. We will be having those again, I hope. 

My tiny dancer!

By Wednesday evening I was wiped out. It seems that the closer the end of the term gets, the more there is to do. We went to sushi to celebrate the fact that Cathy was offered a job at Brighton College for the 2019-2020 school year. We are all so excited. After sushi, I was guilted into meeting some of the teachers at Trader Vic’s to say a farewell to Millie’s teacher, my teammate, Leon and his wife, Chloe. They have an opportunity to open a school in St Petersburg, Russia. The bad part is the jobs start in May. This leaves about 40 children without a teacher, Millie being one of them. When we told her, she cried and cried and cried. She loves him so much. 

Thursday we were only in school for half a day. We had International Day. The children dressed in their home country clothes and we had food stalls with authentic food from many different countries. It was a great day, but I was glad when it was over. It meant the kids and I had two weeks of holiday. When I got home, Stuart and I watched television. Cathy came over later and made dinner for us. It was a South African dish and it was really good. Sean came over as well. Millie was her usual stubborn self and wouldn’t try the dish. Therefore, she earned herself an earlier bedtime. She’s stubborn, but I’m more stubborn. 

International dress. 

Friday morning Stuart made boiled eggs and soldiers (toast cut up in strips). Jack loves to dip his soldiers into the egg. Millie had scrambled eggs. After breakfast we spoke to Grammie and Pop on the phone. Then we were off to Dubai 7s for the men’s conference finals. Stuart played in an exhibition match before the finals. He played really well and I actually got some good videos of him, which rarely happens. The men lost the final match, but played really hard and stayed closer to the winners than I think was anticipated. 

Before we left for the match, Millie decided she wanted to make rice crispie treats. So we did. 

Once we returned to Al Ain, we picked Cathy up and headed to the rugby club for the after party. It was a celebration of the adult rugby teams as well as the Netball and Touch Rugby teams. It was a good night. It wasn’t terribly crowded as most people had headed off on their spring holidays. But we had fun. 

Saturday morning we were up early. Stuart was spraying down our back area because with two dogs that needs to be done from time to time. I stripped the kids’ beds and discovered that at some point Millie had peed her bed without my knowing because her duvet had a big wee stain. So, I decided to take both hers and Jack’s duvet covers to the cleaners. Our washing machine is not quite big enough to do an ample job. 

Once I returned from the cleaners, the kids and I headed to Bounce. Saturday was the last day of their unlimited pass, so I thought it best if we get in another 2 hours of free bouncing. I ran some errands while they were bouncing, so it killed many birds with one stone. 

We got home just after 2:30 pm. The kids went on their devices and Stuart and I watched television. Stuart made dinner around 5 pm and the kids showered, ate and settled down for the night. The night was relatively tame as we were getting ready for a few days in Um Al Quain, another emirate in the UAE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment